My 11 Biggest Features of 2020


Over the course of the past year I’ve written over 150 features for this site (and that’s in addition to having my book published!). I knew narrowing all these features down to a top 10 was going to be a challenge, and it actually turned out to be an even bigger challenge than I expected, which is why, in true Spinal Tap fashion – these go to 11!

So let’s get to my 11 biggest features of 2020.


Interviews

Back From Zero – A Rock n Roll Story of Second Chances & Big Triumphs

 

When an interview subject is willing to be open, it makes for a great feature, and Back From Zero founder Austin Collins was so open, and has such a remarkable life story, that the result was a feature that was one of my favorites of the year.

To read the feature, click here.

 

Sweet Lizzy Project – Technicolor Indie Rock Born From Cuba’s Grey Market 

and Stacking The Deck with Lisset Diaz of Sweet Lizzy Project

 

I’m really glad I caught up Lisset Diaz of Sweet Lizzy Project twice this year, because we had two decidedly different interviews. The first was a serious one that covered what it’s like being a musician in Cuba, and how the band made their way to the U.S., while the second was a Stacking The Deck feature where we had a lot of fun discussing early influences, and what the band was doing to spice up their live streams.

To read Technicolor Indie Rock Born From Cuba’s Grey Market, click here. 

To read the Stacking The Deck feature, click here.

 

Bahari Are Ready To Bare Their Souls 

 

You know how I said when an interview subject is willing to be open it makes for a great feature? When I spoke with the Bahari duo of Ruby Carr and Natalia Panzarella they weren’t just open, they bared their souls, and I’m extremely appreciative of their candor, and willingness to talk about some of the difficult situations they’ve been through.

To read the feature, click here.

 

The Dales – Three Part Harmony, Unlimited Good Vibes

 

The last in-person interview I was able to do before the entire world shut down, I caught up with The Dales backstage before their March 6th show at Stage One at Fairfield Theatre Company, and we had an incredibly fun time filled with a lot of laughs, and some great stories being told.

To read the feature, click here.

 

Jessie Wagner – Your Favorite Artists’ Favorite Singer is Ready to Go Solo

 

Jessie Wagner has toured the world working with a bevy of well-known artists. Because of this, she has a whole lotta interesting stories to tell, and she told quite a few of them when we hopped on Zoom for a chat.

To read the feature, click here.

 

Cherie Currie Can Still Rock Your Face Off

 

Once or twice a year I’m blessed with the opportunity to speak with an absolute legend, and this year I was able to catch up with Cherie Currie, the iconic frontwoman of The Runaways. Spoiler alert – she’s still freakin’ awesome.

To read the feature, click here.

 

Columns 

What Do You Do When an Artist You Love is Revealed to be a Dirtbag?

 

This year we found out quite a few artists that we’d loved for years had an, until now, unknown history of abuse, sexual assault, and other reprehensible behavior. I gathered some incredible people who were willing to talk about what we, as fans, can do about this, and how to handle the fact that the music of these artists has been part of the soundtrack of our lives.

To read the feature, click here.

 

Why The Fate of Indie Music Venues Should Matter to Everyone, & How We Can Help

 

The first of my three coronavirus features, as soon as the government shut down businesses I contacted various friends who own, operate, or book indie music venues to get their take on what an extended shut-down would mean for these venues, and everyone who relies on them.

To read the feature, click here.

 

Indie Artist Roundtable – Coronavirus Cancellations, Live Streams, & A World In Isolation

 

After tackling the venue side of things, I brought together four indie artists to talk about the affect having to cancel shows was having on them, and what they were doing to attempt to weather the storm.

To read the feature, click here.

 

The Future of Live Music – Why I Feel There’s Reason to be Excited

 

In my final feature centered around the coronavirus shut-downs, I took a look at some of the unique options bands, and fans, might have in regards to live music that could potentially create concert spaces that circumvent some rules, and involve abbreviations like DIY and BYOB.

To read the feature, click here. 

 

It goes without saying that 2020 was an incredibly strange year, but I’m proud of work I put in here at Adam’s World, and I look forward to writing even more great features in 2021!

Comments

Popular Posts