The Vibe Report – June ‘08


If it’s the end of the month it’s time for yours truly, Adam B, to extend my praise and express my disappointment regarding the major events that have gone on in the past 30 (or so) days. Longtime readers probably already know I was seriously bummed about the cancellation of Dirt and the passing of George Carlin, but thankfully there were plenty of good points to the month, as well, including some vicious quotes by Kid Rock regarding the music industry and the news that I may, in fact, have a Midas Touch. Let’s vibe people.


Good Vibes

The Adam B Midas Touch -
Stephen Colbert has his “Colbert Bump,” which is the noticeable jump in popularity a politician sees after appearing on his show, and now it seems I have my own version of it, a little somethin somethin Rabbi Darkside has dubbed “The Adam B Midas Touch,” and it applies to the artists who have been featured on this site. In just the past month three former Adam’s World Artists Of The Week have been seen on MTV; Substantial had his latest video debut on Sucka Free, Rabbi D was a coach on Made, and Seme Rock performed on that same episode of Made. Who will the stars align for next? Well, you can always scan through the Artist Of The Week Archives and take a guess.

Shameless Self-Promotion - For those who thought I’d already dabbled sufficiently in the art form that is shameless self-promotion, you ain’t seen nothin yet. This month the official Adam B t-shirts arrived and they are fantastic. Look for them on all those aforementioned, soon-to-be-insanely popular, former Artists Of The Week throughout the rest of ’08 and beyond. I’ve also ordered some Adam B stickers that will be available soon, too (definitely by the time the Beyond Race Presents show I'm hosting at Cousin Larry’s in Danbury, CT happens on August, 30th). All in all the big PR push gets even bigger.

Kid Rock - In a recent interview with BBC News Kid Rock ripped the industry a new one (does it even have room for any more “new ones?”) when he told them where they can shove their iTunes downloads. Eventually an artist had to catch on that iTunes really wasn’t really that much better for their pockets than illegal downloading and Kid Rock voiced his distaste for the fact that this new model of selling music was run using the same old system with the artists getting next to nothing. As odd as it may sound to some, Kid Rock, if he wanted to be, could be quite the leader in the industry. He has the artistic credibility, the money, and even, apparently, the mind. I don’t know if he has the desire for such a role, but it’s good to know he’s there.


Bad Vibes

FX Buries Dirt -
I’m really upset at this one. FX has chosen to cancel Dirt, one of my favorite shows on television, and one of the only shows I watched religiously. Lucy Spiller and Don Konkey were two of my favorite characters on TV. Lucy’s version of multitasking, which consisted of speeding away from the paparazzi while also outlining an article, made for one of the sexier scenes in television history (though probably only to me since I’m also a celebrity journalist).

The Passing of George Carlin - I don’t even know what to say about this other than he was a legend, I’ve loved watching his acts over the years, and he will be sorely missed. One of my favorite George Carlin moments was actually from an episode of Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn when he was doing a skit with Colin and Jim Norton. Carlin was playing a priest and, well, I’ll let the clip speak for itself…



Rest in peace, George.

Previous Months

May ‘08
April ‘08
March ‘08

Comments

Manager Mom said…
I'm curious though, is iTunes really worse for artists than the traditional music industry? At least iTunes is a buck a song...is the margin for artists really worse?

anyhoodle, I always meant to watch Dirt, but never got around to it, so I feel partially responsible for your angst.
Adam Bernard said…
I don't think the problem is that iTunes is necessarily worse, it's that it's the same. The same terrible split that artists get on albums they get on downloads, the only difference is labels are now touting their download sales and the difference for the artist between a million one dollar downloads and a million $14 CDs is a lot.

I actually have a lot of issues with iTunes, but that's another blog for another time.

Popular Posts