The Vibe Report – May ‘08


You knew I wasn’t going to let May close before I put my final stamp on it, which is why today I’m going to go over the good (Death Cab For Cutie, the NBA Playoffs), the bad (magazine deaths, the Fairfield PD) and the downright ugly (the Yankees sharing of thong underwear) of the month that was. Vibe with me people!


Good Vibes

Death Cab’s Possessing Ways -
Every once in a while a song comes along that just grabs me. The other day I was flipping channels and I came across Death Cab For Cutie’s latest, “I Will Possess Your Heart.” I was instantly hooked. I loved the way it could be construed in a number of different ways. Some may consider it a love song from the vantage point of a lovesick boy who can’t seem to get the girl of his dreams. Others may see it as a slightly creepy stalker ballad. The meaning can also change depending on who is singing the song and how they choose to sing it. There are just so many interesting aspects of “Possess” that make it a current fave for me. Plus, four and a half minute intros rule.

High Quality B-Ball - We’re finally down to the real nitty gritty of the NBA playoffs and the games are, not surprisingly, very entertaining. My prediction at the start of the whole thing was Spurs over Celtics for the title and although that stands no chance of happening after last night (thanks a lot Spurs) I'm still having fun watching the games (how great is Jeff Van Gundy on commentary?). Another fantastic thing about this part of the playoffs is the NBA Lottery. Of course, my Knicks got screwed, ending up with the sixth pick in the draft, but in all honesty it was just nice to get a mention during the playoffs. Knicks in 2010!


Bad Vibes

Giambi’s Golden Thong -
Some athletes are inspired by the likes of Terry Bradshaw. The Yankees’ Jason Giambi, however, prefers to channel Carrie Bradshaw as this month he revealed he wears a gold thong to try to break out of slumps. What’s even worse is this Sisqo of the diamond loans the thong out to other slumping players. That’s right ladies, your little heartthrob Derek Jeter only wants to get into your panties if he can then wear them on the field. At least we know nothing’s pinching down there since all the steroid use has shrunk most of those guys’ balls to the size of raisins.

Magazine Deaths - It’s been a rough couple of months for the magazine world. Harp, Mass Appeal and Skope have all bit the big one in recent weeks. I’m obviously taking the loss of Skope the hardest since I was collecting a check from them, but the fact that so many magazines are dying is a bad sign that people just aren’t reading like they used to. C’mon folks, pick up a magazine! It’s much easier to read while in the bathroom, or on the subway, than a laptop, plus the writing’s pretty darn good. The lone good thing about these magazine deaths is that some of their readers might flock to Beyond Race (pick us up! The new issue is on newsstands now!).

Fairfield Police - The other day I arrived home from the city really late. It was close to 2am. All I wanted to do was delete some email and go to bed, but a little something prevented me from doing the latter, the Fairfield PD. Outside my window they had pulled over a kid who was walking home and started to harass him. They yelled at him that he was causing a disturbance, which was ironic to me since I didn’t hear the kid, just the overly angry cops. It got to the point where the cops took the kid’s wallet and when he asked for it back (I’m assuming he asked since I couldn’t here him) they threatened him with a taser. I heard the cop yelling “Do you want me to get out the taser! I’ll taser you!” No mister officer, I want you to stop overreacting and shut the hell up so I can get some sleep. With incidents like this the police have to realize why they're so disliked.

Previous Months

April ‘08
March ‘08
February ‘08

Comments

Popular Posts