NYC Scene Report – Jessie Wagner, Sam Sellers, & Sid Seth
* Jessie Wagner recently released a video for her cover of the 1965 Rolling Stones classic “I’m Free,” and you’re going to love what she did with the song.
Wagner’s version of “I’m Free,” which can be found on her standout 2025 album War Within, takes the song in a wholly different direction, with a strong infusion of soul, blues, and even a hint of country. Oh, and did I mention it’s also incredibly sexy?
This isn’t the first time “I”m Free” has been covered in a decidedly different way, as The Soup Dragons did a great job making it their own back in 1990 (I bet that wasn’t a name you expected to see today!)
Check out Wagner’s version of “I’m Free,” which has a sultriness to it that is simply fantastic.
* It has been said that when in Rome, do as the Romans do, but for indie hip-hop favorite Sam Sellers, a recent trip overseas led to – when in Japan, film a dope music video. This is why he now has a fantastic clip for his song “Bouquets.”
“While traveling Japan at the beginning of the summer, I had the notion to shoot a music video across locations we visited,” he explained, “In a land of such extraordinary flora, and high appreciation for flowers and delicate beauty, it felt right to make it ‘Bouquets,’ the closing track on Fake Flowers Last Forever.”
In related news, the limited vinyl release of Fake Flowers Last Forever is now available in record stores around the world thanks to a partnership with Four Finger Distribution.
So it’s time to wake up and smell the roses … err … listen to “Bouquets,” and then check out the rest of the album the next time you’re at your local record store.
* Closing things out this week is an incredibly heartfelt song from a returning Sid Seth.
Seth had been absent from the stage for over a year, revealing in an Instagram video that the passing of his mother led to him having little desire to perform. He added, however, that he had continued writing his thoughts in song form.
Now, finally ready to share those thoughts, he’s released a new single, titled “Precious Gift,” in honor of his mother.
On social media, Seth wrote, “My precious gift is yours. Mom, this is for you. I pray this reaches you somehow,” adding, “Writing this song was the most heart-shattering experience. I exactly remember everything how it happened. Have been holding on to this feeling for sometime and here’s my exhale.”
This song will absolutely tug at your heart. Click play, and make sure you have a box of tissues handy.
For more of the best of NYC’s indie music scene, come back next Wednesday, and check out the archives for previous columns.

Comments