NYC Scene Report – Homeboy Sandman, ROREY, & King Falcon
* Homeboy Sandman is someone I’ve been featuring on this site for 19 years. Since 2007 he hasn’t just been an artist I know, and support, he’s been a friend. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed watching his ascent, and seeing his name go from being on flyers, to being in lights. What’s even cooler than having your name in lights, however, is having someone paint a mural in your honor, and that’s exactly what happened for Homeboy Sandman in Brooklyn.
At the corner of Broadway and Willoughby there is now a Homeboy Sandman mural created by Vince Ballentine (photo above), and all I can say is – hell yeah!
If you’re in the area, I hope you take time to check it out.
Of course, right now you can take time to check out Homeboy Sandman’s latest single, “Take Time.” It’s off his Resonance Frequency album, which is a collaborative project with producer Jack Splash, that was released on July 31st of this year, and it’s a banger.
* ROREY released a new album titled I Get It Now last month, and on the latest single from it she is over “Binary Thinking.”
With the album documenting a heartbreak, for the video for the indie pop single she decided to get psychological. Discussing the clip in a statement, she explained, “The whole premise of this video is that I’m taking a rorschach test, because it is inherently subjective, as are our narratives and speculations. It’s an entire projection of our psyche, like we never truly know … but it makes for great art.”
I’m pretty sure a member of the Watchmen would agree, but when it comes to singing, I’d much rather hear ROREY, than Rorschach, because “Binary Thinking” is a winner.
* Longtime column faves King Falcon, now a trio, will be releasing a new EP titled BLOOM on September 18th, and the latest single from it is the warm acoustic tune “Holding Out.”
Bringing a summer vibe as the season nears a close, frontman Michael Rubin says of the song, “Everything on the first record was very rock and roll, in your face, and live sounding, which was a huge part of what we loved about making it. ‘Holding Out’ is the first song that felt truly different from the beginning. It has a completely different sonic texture, and for me, it was also the first one that really lent itself to an acoustic arrangement. We wanted to explore that side of the band and see what happened when we stripped things back a little. It opened up a whole new sound for us, and that’s what makes this song so special.”
Click play on the video, which was filmed at Coney Island, and let King Falcon extend your summer … at least for a few more minutes.
For more of the best of NYC’s indie music scene, come back next Wednesday, and check out the archives for previous columns.

Comments