Georgi Freddy is Ready for You to Know His Name

When Georgi Freddy steps on stage to headline at Bowery Palace (formerly Bowery Electric) in NYC on Saturday, September 12th, it will be the next step in a dream he didn’t even realize he had.
“I never even contemplated the idea of going solo,” the NYC-based veteran of numerous rock bands says. “I’m so used to being the lead singer, and frontman of a rock and roll band, ‘Hi, I’m Georgi Freddy. I’m the frontman of blah, blah, blah.’ It’s what I’m used to doing.”
A close friend of his challenged him to think bigger.
“One random day, I was juggling a couple of things, and my very good friend Julio Arias, who’s my drummer and producer, called me. He was like, ‘Yo, I was just thinking about this, George, and I was just wondering, in the world of music, who are you?’ I’m like, ‘Yo, I’m the frontman.’ He’s like, ‘No!’ My adrenaline rose a little bit because my friend has never given me attitude in his entire life, ever, so when he said no, I was like, whoa. It was like dodging a freaking punch out of nowhere.”
The conversation continued, and Freddy says voices were raised. “He started screaming, ‘No motherfucker, you’re Georgi Freddy. If you don’t do this for you, who’s going to give a fuck about you?’ He’s like, ‘Everyone is fucking doing their own shit. Everyone’s doing their own things for themselves. You still haven’t done that. You write every single day. Every time I’m on the phone with you, I catch you writing.’”
That’s when Freddy received the message loud and clear. “Every month, I write one song with my old band, (but) I’m five, six songs in with my solo stuff, and he’s recognizing that, and he, as a very good friend, pushed me in that direction.”
Freddy describes that push as, “A shove of love.”
Now Freddy is performing under his own name, and I caught up with him to find out more about his path, his influences, and sharing stages with someone who was once a competitor from his youth.
You are a veteran of the scene. Tell me about some of your previous band experiences, and how they helped shape you into the artist you are today.
When I was a young boy I always viewed rock and roll bands as like little gangs, with friendship, and brotherhood. It’s like building a whole new family outside of your home, and when you work with a lot of different individuals with a lot of different personalities, you learn how to step outside of yourself a little bit.
I guess it just prepared me for how to work with very different people, and how to balance and maintain better relationships, because when you’re young, you can lose relationships just like this {snaps fingers}.
So basically, when you’re younger, the fuse is a little shorter?
The fuse is way shorter, for sure.
Who would you consider to be some of your more outside the box musical influences? Every artist has their classic rock influences, but then they have the ones that shape them a little more. Who would you say are the ones that shaped you most?
I would definitely say David Bowie, even though he’s classic, obviously.
If I didn’t have David Bowie, I would be a different artist. He teaches you that being you is usually the best direction. You get the most organic, natural sounds.
Speaking of outside the box, it’s always good to be outside the box, and when you learn more about yourself, being outside the box actually becomes a fun playground to play in, because there’s brand new things to discover all the time.
Ask me your question one more time, so I just answer you correctly.
Who would be your more outside the box musical influences? Is there a band, or an artist, you consider an influence that’s maybe a little under the radar?
I would say Joy Division. I was really influenced by them when I was young, because before them, (music) was like a thing, and then after them, it became a lifestyle.
I really connected with their early years, before they actually made it, and what they did, and how they pushed to be heard, I was really was inspired by that.
And there’s such beauty … there’s so much beauty in simplicity. If you could find the beauty in simplicity, you have a symphony to play.

As a solo artist you’ve released two singles so far, “Back to the Start,” and, “I’m Fly With You.” What made them the songs you wanted to lead with?
Funny thing is, I was working in a studio in Brooklyn – let’s just say it’s another one of those life lessons – they got used to getting a paycheck every week, and they thought they had the right to make something, and I was paying for it. So I took it all out of there. I went to my boys, we got it done, but when we got it done, I was disheartened over the song because of all the nonsense that came along with it. Then Julio was like, “Yo,” at 11 o’clock at night, “What’s that song you wrote the other day?” It was “Back to the Start.” We recorded it at 11 o’clock at night, and fine-tuned it the next day. I sang it the following week. We mixed it, and we called it a day.
Since that was the first song, fresh out of the studio, surrounded by people who want the same thing, who have been around the block, who know what time it is, and they all love the song, I decided, fuck it – “Back to the Start.” Here we are. We’re starting a whole new page. It makes sense.
With “I’m Fly With You,” you know how I told you I was juggling things, I never wrote “I’m Fly With You” to share with anybody. I wrote “I’m Fly With You” to make myself happy. I thought it was too old school for anybody.
My friend Julio, he’s like, “What is that song?” I’m like, “It’s ‘I’m Fly With You.’” He’s like, “Yeah, so from now on, please share with me your songs … we need to record that next.”
I’m so blessed to have the team that I have, that speaks the same language.
When we met, you were on a bill with The Ritualists. They’re also on the bill for your upcoming September 12th show at Bowery Palace. Tell me about your shared history with The Ritualists frontman Christian Dryden, because I believe there are some fun stories here.
I met Christian Dryden back when I was 20 years old, and at the time I don’t think we were fans of each other.
Back in the day, we used to compete over some girls.
That happens in our 20s.
Yes, of course. You go to the same parties, see the same people. It’s bound to happen.
When I (moved) to Nashville, Tennessee, I was blown away by how everywhere you went, somebody is playing so professional. I’d sit at a coffee shop, and be like oh, that’s that person. It started to affect me positively.
It made me think of New York, and I started feeling sad, and depressed a little, because the New York I know, the New York I grew up with, you walk into a coffee shop, and you could meet somebody who could change your life tomorrow. Everything’s so spread apart now. It’s not the same anymore.
I was like, no fucking way. (When I moved back to New York, I said) I’m going downtown. I’m going to walk around. I’m going to see live shows. I want to do what I did in Nashville.
I ended up somehow at Berlin Under A, and I saw Christian and his band playing. I’m sitting there, and I’m like, where do I know these dudes? I’m like oh, Bar 13 SHOUT! days.
I walked up to them. I was like, “Yo, boys, I don’t know if you remember me, but we used to do a little competition back in (the day),” and they actually they did (remember). We all gave each other hugs, and we all had a beer, and they invited me to sing at their next show.
Ever since then, Christian and I have hit off really well, so every other month they’re inviting me to perform if I’m available. It’s a very nice relationship.
That’s awesome. So for you, is there an album, or an EP in the works? Tell everyone what the plan is for the rest of the year.
Well, there is a plan that’s actually happening behind the scenes that I can’t talk about. I’ve never experienced anything happening behind the scenes faster than what’s happening (now). So behind the scenes, my career is moving way faster, and I’m just trying to keep up.

You are 100% you at all times. In a world where generative AI is being used by non-artists to pretend they’re artists, how much more important has authenticity become to you?
I think if you are an artist, and use AI, you’re a coward. I think you’re weak. I think you have hit that wall, and you’ve refused to do the work to climb over it, to get to the next level, so you’re using AI.
I think it’s horrible. I think AI is horrific.
Basically, I think the real question is, why are we calling them artists? Why are we even giving them that?
There is no title.
Writing a prompt does not make you smart, does not make you intelligent, does not make you unique, doesn’t do anything. My little 12 year old nephew could do the same thing. So what are you really doing besides being a lazy fuck?
Totally agree. Is there anything else you’d like to add about yourself, or your music?
I would like to release at least three songs in a couple of months.
I have two albums worth of music begging to be outside of my house.
For more Georgi Freddy, follow him on Instagram.
Comments