Empty Seat Syndrome – Demi Lovato, Mya, and the Blue Dot Blues

Late in July my Facebook feed began being filled with advertisements for concerts happening at Mohegan Sun. Living in Connecticut, and writing about music for a living, it seemed like some well targeted promotion, but I was curious as to why they were amping it up to levels I hadn’t seen before.
I clicked on the ad for Demi Lovato’s concert on August 29th, and immediately saw why the venue was suddenly so all in with the ads – blue dots everywhere.

A blue dot on a concert venue map represents a seat that’s available, and one month before Demi’s show there were far more empty seats than filled ones. The place was looking about one third full.
Now, there will obviously be ticket deals created in the coming weeks to try to inspire more sales, but this blue dot phenomenon isn’t new. Last year I wrote about Jessica Simpson’s sparse ticket sales at the same venue, and how it might behoove her to do more press.
Wondering how other upcoming shows were faring at the casino, I clicked on the ad for Mya’s concert.
Less than a week before the show, the place looked like it was going to be less than half full.

A thought crossed my mind – is Mohegan Sun, which for me is a pain in the butt to get to (an over 90 minute drive fighting highway traffic the entire time), just too much of a hassle for concert goers?
I clicked on another ad, this one for a three band bill featuring Gin Blossoms, Blues Traveler, and Spin Doctors.
Three days prior to the show it was nearly sold out.

Clearly, distance, and traffic, weren’t the issues here.
So how can Demi, and Mya solve their blue dot blues? (for the record, I think they’re both terrific artists, who should be packing venues)
The answer is a two step plan that rock acts have been using for years.
Step 1: Come to terms with being a nostalgia act
This isn’t easy, because it’s an acknowledgement that your back catalog is what people care most about.
Mya released a new album in May of this year, but for nostalgia acts, releasing a new album is simply an excuse to tour. While I’m sure she wants people to enjoy her new songs, the fact of the matter is everyone buying a ticket to see her wants to hear “Case of the Ex,” “Best of Me,” and “My Love is Like … Wo.”
Demi released a new album last year, and followed it up this year with a deluxe edition. The original release made a brief appearance in the Top 10, but none of the singles charted on the Billboard Hot 100 (although “Fast” found its way to at least one gym playlist, because I felt like I heard it every day for roughly two months).
It might be a tougher realization for Demi that she’s now a nostalgia act, because she’s so much closer to her peak of fame, but people buying a ticket to see her want to hear “Cool for the Summer,” “Heart Attack,” “Confident,” “Give Your Heart a Break,” and “Sorry Not Sorry.”
I recently saw a post on Twitter of someone feeling nostalgia for the “Sorry Not Sorry” era. At first I was thought – wasn’t that fairly recent? It turns out the song is actually nine years old.
There is Demi Lovato nostalgia, and she should be leaning into it.
Being labeled a nostalgia act isn’t a knock on an artist, it’s an acknowledgement of a long career that people connect with in a uniquely personal way.
Nostalgia acts provide fans with an escape to a simpler time, and for one night these artists bring back a lot of great memories, and bonds with old friends.
This is a downright magical quality for an artist to have, and once they come to terms with their place as a nostalgia act, they basically turn into a conduit for happiness.
Step 2: Grab a friend, or two, to join you on tour
The ‘90s rock nostalgia tours work so well because they give fans three to four bands, all of whom have at least a few recognizable hits, at a price that a lot of acts try to charge for a one band bill.
Money is tight right now, so if you expect people to shell out $50, $75, or over $100 for a show, you’re going to have to give them something that feels like value. Very few arts can get away with that with just a one band bill. The Rolling Stones, Paul Simon, Beyonce, Taylor Swift, sure, no problem, but unless you have legendary status like the prior two, or are at the peak of your fame like the latter two, you’re going to need to be like Joe Cocker, and get by with a little help from your friends.
Mya could give Sisqo a call, do a co-headlining bill, and team up each night for “It’s All About Me.”
Demi’s most obvious tour partner would be Selena Gomez, but if that’s not on the table, what about someone like Bebe Rexha, Alessia Cara, or Cher Lloyd? Demi even has a song with the latter.
Having another recognizable artist on the bill provides the extra push that will make fans say – “I’m getting her and this other act I remember? OK, I’m in.”
Once artists like Mya, and Demi Lovato come to terms with being nostalgia acts, realize there’s a hugely positive aspect to this, and start adding some names to their tours, they’ll see far fewer blue dots, and far more fans singing along to their hits at every show.
Comments