My 11 Must-Hear Albums of 2023

I hope you’re ready for some of the best music the year had to offer, because it’s time for my must-hear albums of 2023!

A few quick notes on how I do things here – Since I mostly listen to indie artists/bands, this list is typically filled with incredible albums that may have flown under the radar. Mainstream artists receive more than enough praise, so I prefer to highlight artists who I feel deserve to be heard by a wider audience.

Also, a few years ago I made the decision to stop using number rankings, because this isn’t about sparking arguments, or saying one great album is “better” than another, it’s about putting the focus on some fantastic albums everyone should hear.

I decided to lay out this year’s list alphabetically by artist (letter M, you’re crushing it!), and I considered any release that had at least eight full-length songs for the list. I’ve also included links to any interviews I’ve done with these artists from the past year.

With that all out of the way, let’s get to my 11 must-hear albums of 2023! Why 11? Because …

You had to know that was going to be a Spinal Tap reference, right?

Now, let’s get to the albums before a Stonehenge is crushed by a dwarf!

 

Bourbon House
The Fourth Album 

Genre: Blues rock, modern classic rock

I’ve been a fan of Bourbon House for a number of years now, and with The Fourth Album they really show everything they’re capable of as a band, giving listeners blues rock, modern classic rock, hard rock, traditional blues, and even a singer-songwriter song. It all ends up being beautifully cohesive thanks to frontwoman Lacey Crowe, and guitarist Jason Clark, who bring it all together perfectly.

Interview: Bourbon House are Serving Up Full-Bodied Rock N Roll



Grrrl Gang
Spunky! 

Genre: Indie rock with punk, and grunge influences

Spunky! is a perfect name for this album, as it’s a high energy romp that will inspire fits of enthusiasm in listeners. I can only imagine how wild Grrrl Gang’s shows get, and have to assume the Indonesian trio sees a mosh pit of some kind form each night.

Fun fact – One time I used Spunky! as a soundtrack to a workout, and I nearly busted through the ceiling.



 

J Hacha De Zola
Without a Tribe
 

Genre: Wonderfully bizarre indie rock

I love attempting to explain the music of J Hacha De Zola to first time listeners. At one point he defined his sound as “urban junkyard.” Over the years it’s graduated from that, while not losing its “urban junkyard” soul. Now it’s a combination of Frank Zappa meets The Doors, with a heavier emphasis on the latter.

This is the second time J Hacha De Zola’s had an album on this list, with East of Eden having made my 2021 list, so all you really need to know is his music sounds great!



 

Kid of the Star System
Luminous 

Genre: Boundary breaking alt hip-hop

London-based hip-hop artist Kid of the Star System’s Luminous is a “stop what you’re doing, and pay attention” type of album. From the music, to the lyricism, everything about it is next level.

I’ve described her sound as Dessa meets PVRIS, and she’s one of my favorite discoveries of the year.

Interview: 8 Things You Should Know About Kid of the Star System



 

Laye
Losers 

Genre: Indie alt-pop

Laye first appeared on one of my year-end lists back in 2019 with her debut album, lonesome, and for as great as that album was, with Losers she has raised the bar to new heights.

Her musical growth over the years has been impressive, and she’s among the best doing alt-pop today.



Maggie Miles
The Lack Thereof 

Genre: Emotive indie alt pop-rock

Certain artists you can just tell pour their heart and soul into their lyrics, and Maggie Miles is one of those artists. Because of this, there is absolutely nothing lacking when it comes to The Lack Thereof, which is a soul baring alt-pop-rock album filled with so much emotion that as a listener you wonder if Maggie might burst.

The Lack Thereof marks the second time Maggie has appeared on one of my year-end lists, with her debut album, Am I Drowning or Am I Just Learning How To Swim making my 2020 list.



Melonball
Breathe 

Genre: Skate punk

Punk rock from Germany that moves at a blistering pace, in a bit of irony, Melonball’s Breathe barely allows you a moment to take a breath.

With topics that range from the personal, to the political – and with a killer cover of The Outfield’s “Your Love” included at the end – the album is an in your face ride that will make a listener want to start a riot … but in a good way.

Interview: 8 Things You Should Know About Melonball

 


MisterWives
Nosebleeds 

Genre: Indie pop

In a just world – or at least in a just music industry – every song from MisterWives’ Nosebleeds, from the bouncy to the ballads, would’ve found its way into heavy rotation on Top 40 radio.

Even in this unjust music industry, a bevy of sold out shows around the country in support of the album proved their music resonates with a heck of a lot of people, and the band can even pack the nosebleeds.

Interview: Stacking The Deck with Misterwives


mmeadows
Light Moves Around You 

Genre: Ethereal indie pop

The teaming of Kristin Slipp and Cole Kamen-Green as mmeadows gave listeners an amazing album with angelic vocals, and incredible, ethereal production.

At times Light Moves Around You feels like Heaven, although the subject matter isn’t always heavenly. Truth be told, Slipp could sing about just about anything, and make you feel like you’re having an out of body experience.

Interview: Stacking The Deck with mmeadows

 


 

Survival Guide
deathdreams 

Genre: Dark, synth heavy indie pop

Adding some spooky to her sound, Survival Guide’s deathdreams features dark, layered synths, with occasional gleams of light, and lyrics that revolve around a series of dreams she had about her own demise. It’s a heck of a combination that makes for a fantastic listening experience.

Interview: Survival Guide Greets Death with a Song


The Streets
The Darker the Shadow the Brighter the Light 

Genre: British hip-hop

The Streets’ debut album, Original Pirate Material absolutely blew my mind back in 2002 with its truly unique sound, and vivid tales of British working class life (Adam’s World didn’t exist until 2003, but had it existed in ’02, Original Pirate Material definitely would’ve been on my year-end list). 21 years later, with The Darker the Shadow the Brighter the Light, he’s still creating mind-blowing music, and remains one of the most quotable artists around.

Some of my favorite lines from this album include – “Of the seven deadly sins envy’s the only not fun,” “I’ll die for my beliefs and still be wrong,” “I just hope I end up with all the right regrets,” “Do you hate it, or do you need a page of reviews,” and “It be a shame if I had to stay long, but what a great place to get away from.”

Clearly, these streets are paved with fantastic lyrics, and great music.

 

There you have it! Those are 11 of my favorite albums from 2023. I hope you’ve found something, or maybe even multiple somethings, that you’ll check out in full. Happy listening!

Comments

Popular Posts