Tales From The Crates – TARDIS Tunes

While flipping through used CDs at Pequot Library’s annual summer sale I happened to glance into a box filled with soundtracks, and saw a Doctor Who album randomly mixed in. Being a longtime fan of the show, my first reaction when I saw Who Is Dr Who was – “It’s Doctor Who not Dr. Who! Is this a bootleg of some kind?”
Flipping it over, my eyes were drawn to … well, the obvious.
Then I noticed the Cargo Music sticker that said the album was an import, and saw the album had The Go Go’s listed as performing a song titled “I’m Gonna Spend My Christmas With A Dalek.”
Doctor Who, a bikini clad beauty with a Dalek, The Go Go’s, and it’s an import? I had to pick it up. At the very least it would be a cool, quirky addition to my collection.
The first track on the album is the iconic original theme music from the television show, and to that I say – hell yeah! Also, it’s obviously not a bootleg!
The album continues with a mixture of compositions, and songs that, as stated in the liner notes, were “single releases either about, inspired by, or obvious cash-ins on the programme,” spanning the years 1964 to 1973. Compiled and produced by Mark Ayres – who provided incidental music for Doctor Who during the seventh Doctor’s run – the actual CD was released in 2000, during the period when Doctor Who wasn’t on the air (it aired from 1963 to 1989, and came back in 2005 for its current run).
With the music being from the 60s and early 70s, that Go Go’s song – “I’m Gonna Spend My Christmas With A Dalek” – obviously wasn’t by the Belinda Carlisle led band I was thinking of. In fact, these Go Go’s were a British group from Newcastle that only had this one song.
I wonder if we could convince Belinda and crew to cover it?
The CD insert, which was really well done, not only has the story behind the album, and the songs, it features some of the original artwork, including the cover art for “I’m Gonna Spend My Christmas With A Dalek.”

While that wasn’t THE Go-Go’s, there are a few notable names on the compilation, including the third Doctor himself, Jon Pertwee, who has a very cool spoken word piece titled “Who Is The Doctor.”
The song came to be because of a connection to the legendary English rock band Deep Purple. Yes, that Deep Purple, of “Smoke on the Water” fame. Deep Purple’s manager, Tony Edwards – who was also the manager of Purple Records, which released “Who Is The Doctor” – knew Pertwee socially, making it easy to convince the third Doctor to record the song.
Does anyone else think Pertwee’s cadence may have been the inspiration for Vincent Price’s “rap” on “Thriller”?
“Who Is The Doctor,” which was released in 1972, wasn’t Pertwee’s first foray into music. Ten years prior he released an album titled Jon Pertwee Sings Songs For Vulgar Boatmen, which included lyrically colorful tunes like “The Buxom Country Maid.”
Speaking of buxom country maids (appreciate that transition, please!), in addition to the bikini clad beauty on the back cover, there’s more … how can I put this … Dalek erotica gracing the liner notes.
The woman who is naked with the exception of her sparkly boots is actress Katy Manning, who played Pertwee’s companion, Jo Grant, and who should know better than to cozy up next to a Dalek! C’mon, Katy, you can’t seduce a Dalek!
In another image we see a publicity still for the Doctor Who film. The image on the back of the album is a publicity still, as well.
Once again, I would advise everyone not to touch a Dalek!

Someone else who should know not to touch a Dalek is Frazer Hines, who played the second Doctor’s companion, Jamie McCrimmon, and gave music a go, as well. Three of his songs are on this compilation CD, including one previously unreleased song. Actually, those aren’t just three of his songs, they’re his only three songs.
Listening to “Who’s Dr Who?,” Frazer sounds like he probably could’ve had a musical career if he’d really wanted one.
There was a promotional effort for this song, and even a blurb in NME. Of course, if you’re anything like me, when you look at the image from the Who Is Dr Who liner notes that features those artifacts, you’re just going to want to know about the cereal contest.
Some of the other artwork, and advertisements are also very cool.
21 minutes of adventure? SIGN ME UP!
Roberta Tovey’s “Who’s Who” is featured on the album, and is a cheesy delight.
What else can I say about Who Is Dr Who other than when I picked it up I had no idea it would have a connection to Deep Purple, a little Dalek erotica, and a band named The Go Go’s that had nothing to do with Belinda Carlisle.
Because I’m me, you know I loved finding all that out!
Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to remember where I parked my TARDIS.
If you liked this article, check out my latest book – One Hit Wondering: The Stories of 40 One Hit Wonders + Other Tales From The Crates. Available now!
Comments