NYC Scene Report – Attia Taylor, Nicky Egan, & Wet

This week’s NYC Scene Report features Attia Taylor connecting with a “Space Ghost,” Nicky Egan ruminating on “This Life,” and Wet letting someone know “I’m Not Her.”

* If you're anything like me, when you see the words Space Ghost your first thought is Space Ghost Coast to Coast, the incredibly strange animated talk show that was a fan favorite in the Adult Swim lineup.

With this in mind, when I saw Brooklyn-based indie pop artist Attia Taylor’s upcoming album is titled Space Ghost (due out July 8th) I secretly hoped it was a reference to the show.

It turns out it is.

Discussing the title track in a statement, Taylor said, “As a kid, I watched cartoons, and ate sweets to no end. I had very few rules and limitations being raised primarily by my elderly grandparents, and used these distractions to deal with a lot of pain and distress I was feeling as a child. Late nights watching cartoons turned into Adult Swim. I remember loving shows like Ren and Stimpy, and Space Ghost, content that I didn't quite understand, but it stuck with me. I still watch these shows today, and relate them back to that time in my life where I found joy somewhere, somehow in my little life.”

When it comes to the music, and content of the song, she says, “It’s truly where the essence of my music lives. Fun, dance-y, repetitive, nostalgic, and a little bit melancholy.”

Check out “Space Ghost,” as Attia Taylor is an artist whose music should be heard coast to coast.

* Nicky Egan – who’s been involved in a number of high profile bands, including playing keys and singing for Chicano Batman when they’re on the road – just released her latest solo album, This Life, and the title track is a smooth indie soul gem.

The retro vibe of “This Life” is due, in part, to the album’s recording process, which was done entirely using an 8 track tape machine. Combine those old school elements with Egan originally being from one of the all-time great homes of soul – Philadelphia – and you have something that can be appreciated by both new school, and old school R&B fans alike.

Egan’s NYC connection is that she spent seven years living in Brooklyn, and while she now resides on the West Coast, she wrote and recorded This Life in NYC, and the album features a veritable who’s who of NYC players.

Check out the video for the title track, and get into the groove with Nicky Egan.

* Keeping things smooth, closing things out this week is the latest from longtime column favorite Wet, as they recently released a new single titled “I’m Not Her.”

I don’t know if this is just a single release, or if a full album is on the way, but either way, anytime we can hear Kelly Zutrau’s voice it’s a very good thing … even if it’s just for two minutes here. Heck, those two minutes are great enough to inspire anyone to revisit the band’s entire catalog.

Yeah, I’m a sucker for a sad pop song, but who isn’t?

For more of the best of NYC’s indie music scene, come back next Wednesday, and check out the archives for previous columns.

Comments

Popular Posts