NYC Scene Report – Bad Business Club, Ariah &, & The Ritualists

This week’s NYC Scene Report features nu-disco/yacht rock band Bad Business Club, singer-songwriter Ariah &, and goth/glam rockers The Ritualists, all of whom have shows coming up.

* When Bad Business Club had a show in the city this past fall I couldn’t attend because I was covering a different show that same night. Now, however, I have a second chance to see them, as the nu-disco/yacht rock band will be at Bowery Electric on January 22nd for an early show, with doors at 6:30pm.

Err ... check that. I just received an email from the band saying they’re pushing all their January shows to spring.

Bad Business Club’s album, Naked Neighbor, was one of my favorites of 2021, and I’m really looking forward to finally seeing them live, even if I have to wait a few more months to do it. Hey, spring might actually be a more appropriate season, since their music embodies warm vibes.

Should I wear a Hawaiian shirt to go with the mood?

* If you're looking for a singer-songwriter to check out, longtime column favorite Ariah & will be performing in the city on January 22nd at Rockwood Music Hall Stage 3, with doors at 7pm (for tix, click here). (and now you know this week’s headline isn’t a typo, the ampersand is in her name)

I’ve seen Ariah & previously, and she’s fantastic. A super charismatic live performer, she’s the kind of artist who will win over anyone who’s within hearing distance of her voice. Heck, the first time I saw her live she won me over!

As a preview for the 22nd, here’s a clip of Ariah & from a show this past fall, which, coincidentally, took place at Rockwood Music Hall Stage 3.

* The first month of 2022 is going to be capped off very nicely on January 28th with The Ritualists performing at Rockwood Music Hall Stage 2 (doors at 8pm. For tix, click here).

The goth/glam rock band’s Baroque & Bleeding was another one of my favorite albums of 2021, and having seen them live twice last year I can tell you they put on heck of a show.

The fact that I’m going to be seeing them live for the third time in four months is kinda wild, but I know I’m going to have a good time, and isn’t that one of the best reasons to go to a show? If the choices are – bored at home, or rockin’ out and livin’ it up, I’ll always choose the latter.

Check out The Ritualists’ video for “Baroque & Bleeding.” It’s not only the title track of their album, it’s a song you’ll hear the crowd singing along to on the 28th.

For more of the best of NYC’s indie music scene, come back next Wednesday, and check out the archives for previous columns.

Comments

Popular Posts