Name: Adam Bernard Home: Fairfield, Connecticut, United States About Me: Entertainment journalist with 20 years of experience. Supporter of indie music. Lover of day baseball, and B-movies. Part time ninja. Kicked cancer’s ass. My memoir, ChemBro, is out now!
See my complete profile
Welcome to your weekly dose of pop world musings. Covering all things pop culture, this week Pop Shots is hitting you with thoughts on everything from Ed Sheeran’s guest filled project, to Taylor Swift’s celebrity cameo packed video, to the latest big name artist booking a stay in Las Vegas, and since this is Pop Shots you know everything is seasoned with a little bit of attitude.
* Ed Sheeran revealed the artists he’s collaborated with for his No. 6 collaborations project (due out July 12th), and the list of names includes Bruno Mars, Cardi B, Camila Cabello, Khalid, and Travis Scott. Man, that reads like a wish list of performers for really rich kid’s bar mitzvah.
* In honor of the 20th anniversary of Enema of the State, Blink-182 will be performing the album in its entirety during their North American tour with Lil Wayne. You know, that’s much better than my idea of opening a free enema tent next to the merch table.
* The Jonas Brothers’ latest album, Happiness Begins, debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200 with a tally of 414,000 equivalent album units, 357,000 of which were actual album sales. Apparently a lot of folks are a sucker for the Jonases (and I hate to admit it, but that song is catchy as f*ck).
* Taylor Swift released a celebrity cameo filled video for her LGBT anthem “You Need to Calm Down.” Predictably, fans reacted by doing the exact opposite of the song’s title.
* Nicki Minaj made her way back into listeners’ ears this past Friday with the release of “MEGATRON,” and the return of Beats 1’s Queen Radio. I wonder how many people tuned into the latter and were really disappointed by the lack of Freddie Mercury.
* BTS extended their record for the most #1 songs on Billboard’s World Digital Song Sales chart, as “Dream Glow,” their collaboration with Charli XCX, debuted in the top spot, becoming the Korean boy band’s 12th #1. This begs the question – why does pop music have better foreign relations than every government in the world???
* Shania Twain announced a Las Vegas residency that will kick off at the Zappos Theater at Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino on December 6th. OK, so you have a Vegas residency …
(sorry Shania, I dig you, but that joke pretty much wrote itself)
* Guns N’ Roses added eight new shows to their 2019 itinerary. There’s no word on how many times they will break up before, during, and after those shows.
* Jeremy Spencer, who once manned the drums for Five Finger Death Punch, is now a southern Indiana police officer, having been sworn in as a member the Rockport Police Department. I don’t know about you, but I’d DEFINITELY toe the line if I knew my local police force included a guy who played the drums on a song titled “The Way of the Fist.”
* In sad news, Megadeth frontman Dave Mustaine has been diagnosed with throat cancer. Best wishes to Mustaine in his fight. Here’s hoping his treatments will be a “Symphony of Destruction” to the cancer.
And with that, my time is up for the week, but I'll be back next week with more shots on all things pop.