Pop Shots – A Look At The Charts


Welcome to your weekly dose of pop world musings. Covering all things pop culture, this week Pop Shots is hitting you with a little Billboard singles chart analysis, as there are some new songs looking to make their mark this spring, and one hip-hop hit that, thankfully, is refusing to go away. The chart positions I’m using are from this past Thursday, and since this is Pop Shots, you know everything is seasoned with a little bit of attitude.

10. Kygo w/ Selena Gomez – It Ain’t Me


You know how sometimes you’ll initially dislike a song, but come around to liking it, or, on the flip side, a song can be played so often that even if you initially liked it you end up coming to a point where you change the station whenever it comes on? “It Ain’t Me” manages to somehow be both of these things simultaneously. Don’t ask me how, but sometimes it’s great, sometimes you just want to shut it off. I do, however, love the concept of Selena Gomez drinking whiskey.

22. Migos w/ Lil Uzi Vert – Bad and Boujee


If you were sad when “Bad and Boujee” fell from the top spot, and thought its reign might be over, take heart, the Migos mega-hit jumped back up four spots this week, and is still in heavy rotation on many radio stations. It’s pretty rare for songs to re-ascend the chart after previously being at #1, but “Bad and Boujee” is so much fun I personally hope it sticks around all spring, and summer.

25. Harry Styles – Sign of the Times


Here we are, in 2017, with seemingly every member of One Direction releasing solo projects. The boy band created by Simon Cowell when he decided none would be able to win The X Factor as solo artists has seen so much success that now they can all go solo. With songs like Harry Styles’ hauntingly gorgeous “Sign of the Times,” if the young men of One Direction weren’t already household names in your home, they will be soon enough.

37. Imagine Dragons – Believer


I don’t think I’m making the wildest of predictions when I say “Believer” will likely will be the rock song of the summer. An anthem of pure energy, it’s a “must crank up the volume and sing along to” song of epic proportions. If this one doesn’t fire you up, I don’t know what will.

54. Linkin Park w/ Kiiara – Heavy


For being one of the most successful nu-metal bands of all-time, it’s weird how “Heavy” is not only not heavy, musically, but sounds nothing like a Linkin Park song. I’m not really sure what’s going on here. It’s not a bad song, it’s just not a Linkin Park song. That said, I’m all for bands expanding their horizons, so I’ll give this one a chance to grow on me.

And with that, my time is up for the week, but I'll be back next week with more shots on all things pop.

Comments

Popular Posts