Pop Shots – My Birthday Column! (One Day Early)

Welcome to your weekly dose of pop world musings. Covering all things pop culture, with my 46th birthday coming up tomorrow, it’s time for my annual Pop Shots birthday column!

If you haven’t seen one of these before, each year I take a look at some of the great songs that came in at my age (in this case #46) on the Billboard Hot 100 on my birthday.

This time around the list include classic rock greats, an ‘80s crush, a ‘90s R&B gem, and a few songs that have been on countless party playlists.

So let’s get this birthday party (column) started!

Of course, since this is Pop Shots you know everything is seasoned with a little bit of attitude.

1978 

Heart – Straight On

 

On the date of my birth one of my favorite badass bands was at #46 with an absolute classic.

Does this mean my 46th year is going to be especially badass? I’m gonna try my best to make it happen!

1982

Joan Jett & The Blackhearts – Do You Wanna Touch Me (Oh Yeah)

 

Speaking of badasses, another badass was at #46 on my birthday back in 1982. Can I get a hell yeah for Joan Jett?

Man, we’re starting this off with Heart, and Joan Jett … it doesn’t get much better than that!

1986

Wang Chung – Everybody Have Fun Tonight

 

Is it even really a party if you neglect to Wang Chung?

I actually saw Wang Chung earlier this year as part of the Totally Tubular Festival, and I can tell you much fun was had.

1989

Belinda Carlisle – Leave a Light On

 

Ah yes, Belinda Carlisle, one of my, and everyone else’s, big musical crushes of the ‘80s.

In 1989, perhaps Tom Bodett was Belinda’s perfect match, as she sang to “Leave a Light On” for her. (If you didn’t already know I’m really 46, that Tom Bodett reference sure did it)

1990

The Human League – Heart Like a Wheel

 

When most people think of The Human League one of two songs come to mind – “Don’t You Want Me,” or “Fascination.” Seemingly lost in the shuffle, or having fallen through the cracks of time, “Heart Like a Wheel” was another Top 40 song for the band, and in 1990 it was also one of the last, brilliant gasps of the ‘80s synth sound.

1993

SWV – Weak

The ‘90s were a golden era for R&B, and I think we all loved this classic slow jam from SWV. Talk about a perfect chorus!

1998

Third Eye Blind – How’s It Going To Be

 

Much in the same way The Human League is known predominantly for two songs, Third Eye Blind is now known mostly for “Semi-Charmed Life,” and “Jumper.” One of their other big hits, “How It Going To Be” isn’t heard nearly as often – probably because it doesn’t fit classic rock radio playlists as well as the aforementioned songs – but it was at #46 on my birthday in 1998, so I’m bringin’ it back!

2004

Black Eyed Peas – Don’t Phunk with My Heart

 

Last month I commented to a friend that we’re probably only a few years away from a renaissance of this era of Black Eyed Peas. The thing about music that’s fun is we have fun to it, then we, for some reason, feel shame about having fun to it, so we chastise it, and deem it wack. Once we get old enough to reminisce about the good times, guess what makes a comeback? Yup, the music!

PS – Having fun is never wack!

2006

Yung Joc - It’s Goin’ Down

 

Yung Joc informed us of a number of places where it’s goin’ down, and one of those places was the mall. Being that an arcade recently opened in my local mall, perhaps things are going down in the mall once again. I should check it out, I haven’t played skee-ball in forever!

2007

Carrie Underwood – Before He Cheats

 

This is one of the songs I’ve referenced the most over the years in Pop Shots, so it only makes sense that it would eventually land in one of my birthday columns. 

Destroying a car never sounded so hot!

2016

Mike Posner – I Took a Pill in Ibiza

 

I’m not sure any artist has done such an incredible career, and life 180 as Mike Posner. Finding fame wasn’t all that it was cracked up to be, he decided to change his life, so he walked across America, climbed Mount Everest, and became a pillar of positivity. That’s my kinda dude!

That’s all for my birthday edition of Pop Shots, but come back next Monday for more shots on all things pop.

Comments