NYC Scene Report – Calliope Wren, Strawberry Launch, & Pom Pom Squad

This week’s NYC Scene Report features the column debut of Calliope Wren, Strawberry Launch teaching us how to handle “Bad Luck,” and the triumphant return of Pom Pom Squad.

* A name you’re going to be hearing a lot in the near future is that of Long Island-based singer, songwriter, and rocker Calliope Wren.

In addition to fronting the Paramore tribute band DECODED, she has her own career as an artist that’s primed for takeoff.

Wren recently released a single titled “Fading,” which, at its core, is about growing up, and finding oneself. On the song, she takes her personal journey, and connects it to the universal journey of growing up that we all go through, making it relatable to pretty much everyone.

Musically, “Fading” is a dose of Warped Tour summer vibes that’s absolutely perfect for cranking up on your stereo, in your headphones, or in your car. So click play, rock out, and remember the name Calliope Wren.

* NYC-based indie rockers Strawberry Launch just released their sophomore EP this past week, but don’t be fooled by the name, because Bad Luck is a good time.

Take, for example, the title track, which is actually an uplifting song that reminds us bad luck is just that – luck – and while we have no control over it, we can combat the negativity by embracing some positive vibes. It’s a great ideology, and on a personal note, it’s the way I’ve lived life for many years.

So here’s to Strawberry Launch, and their “Bad Luck,” which sure sounds good to me!

* If you’re anything like me, you’ve been wondering where Pom Pom Squad has been. I’ve been featuring the Mia Berrin led band here since 2019, but hadn’t heard from them in a few years … until now! Pom Pom Squad are back!

The band’s latest single is titled “Downhill,” and it stems from the juxtaposition Berrin experiences between being a musician, and how she is off the stage.

“In my everyday life, I’m pretty reserved and shy,” she explained in a statement, “so it’s odd, even to me, that I feel this pull to be on stage – to put my music out, and open myself up to everything that comes with that.”

Berrin continued, adding, “When I was writing ‘Downhill’ I was thinking a lot about the push-pull between those opposing sides of my personality. Sometimes being ambitious feels like being self-destructive, and I wanted to explore the line between the two. Also, it’s been nearly three years since I’ve released anything new, so this song feels like my reintroduction to the world. Pom Pom Squad is soooo back, baby!”

“Downhill” is a welcome return from a longtime fave. Here’s hoping we hear more from Pom Pom Squad throughout the second half of 2024, and beyond.

For more of the best of NYC’s indie music scene, come back next Wednesday, and check out the archives for previous columns.

Comments

Popular Posts