NYC Scene Report – Tansu, Aubrey Haddard, & Salt Cathedral

This week’s NYC Scene Report features Tansu with a new EP all about life in The City, Aubrey Haddard going “Off The Edges,” and Salt Cathedral “Thinking (‘bout you, ‘bout me).”

* Soulful Harlem based singer, and songwriter Tansu recently released an EP titled The City, and all I can say is be prepared to be blown away.

With vocals that are, simply put, incredible, Tansu’s six song effort covers the life she’s led in NYC.

“It’s an EP about girlfriends, boyfriends, old friends, fake friends,” she said in a statement, “There are songs about best friends that break your heart, and there are songs about the most important relationship in life – the one you make with yourself. The way I learned to love myself is a direct reflection of the emotional life I choose to lead here in NYC.”

The City was produced by Dave Rublin of American Authors, and for a taste check out the song “Love Alone.” For me, “Love Alone” was love at first listen, and I think you’ll feel the same way.

* I love it when column favorites collaborate, and that recently happened when indie pop singer-songwriter Aubrey Haddard teamed up with producer CARRTOONS for the song “Off The Edges.”

With ‘90s alternative vibes for days, “Off The Edges” is legitimately on the edges of a plethora of different genres, including pop, electronic, and alt-pop, just to name a few. Residing in the part of the Venn diagram where all the circles overlap, the song is really something special.

Personally, I think it would be great if Haddard and CARRTOONS did an entire album together. I have no idea if anything like that is in the works, but I do know that I’ll be hitting play quite often on “Off The Edges.”

* Speaking of artists who are creating genre defying music, NYC-based Colombian duo Salt Cathedral released a fantastic album last month titled Before It’s Gone, the latest single off of which is “Thinking (‘bout you, ‘bout me).”

With electronic, dance, and indie pop influences, “Thinking (‘bout you, ‘bout me)” is a body movin’ gem.

Discussing the song in a statement, Salt Cathedral’s Juli Ronderos said, “‘Are we getting good at life?’ is one of my favorite lines on this album. I think when you reach 30 there’s a sense that you get a little better at life, that the way you see things has more clarity than before. It’s a love song, obviously, and feeling so assertive about love feels good, and what better than a French house inspired dance anthem to express this.”

For the younger folks reading this – yes, we can still move at 30 (and in my case 45)!

Click play on “Thinking (‘bout you, ‘bout me),” and get to movin’!

For more of the best of NYC’s indie music scene, come back next Wednesday, and check out the archives for previous columns.

Comments

Popular Posts