Pop Shots – 10 Songs (Sort of) About Laboring in Honor of Labor Day

Welcome to your weekly dose of pop world musings. Covering all things pop culture, with today being Labor Day I’ve come up with another one of my kinda-sorta-barely related to the holiday playlists for you to enjoy … or scratch your head at.

This time around I have ten songs that are all (sort of) about labor.

Of course, I took a few liberties when putting this playlist together, and since this is Pop Shots you know everything is seasoned with a little bit of attitude.

Fifth Harmony – Work from Home

 

After a careful deciphering of the lyrics, I don’t think “Work from Home” is necessarily about putting together the perfect home office. That said, I am open to the suggestions Fifth Harmony have in mind.

Loverboy – Working for the Weekend

 

This one is a bit too on the nose today, because it’s more than likely I am, in fact, working on this long weekend. Hey, what can I say, writers write. What’s a holiday (other than an excuse for me to make a playlist)?

Devo – Working in the Coal Mine

 

I probably wouldn’t be cool about working for the weekend if I was working in the coal mine, but Devo’s take on this '60s classic is so insanely awesome, and so perfectly Devo, I had to include it in this playlist.  

Donna Summer – She Works Hard for the Money

 

A song about working that inspired millions to put in work on the dance floor, “She Works Hard for the Money” will always be an anthem for those who are overworked, underpaid, and underappreciated.

Huey Lewis and the News – Workin’ for a Livin’

 

“I’m taking what they’re giving cuz I’m workin’ for a livin’.” It gets no realer than that, and only Huey Lewis and the News could make that reality sound so good.

Dolly Parton – 9 to 5

 

Dolly Parton is well aware of the hours most people put in, which is why a lot of folks have been singing along to “9 to 5” for decades.

Rihanna – Work

 

During especially jam packed days many of us end up having Rihanna’s voice singing, “Work work work work work work” running through our head. I’m not sure how she should feel about this.

The Vogues – Five O’clock World

 

“Five O’clock World” was released by The Vogues in 1966, but for me it was immortalized when it was used as the theme for The Drew Carey Show. Yes, “Cleveland Rocks” is the song most associated with the show, but there were actually a few different themes over the years, and this one included a heck of a dance number.

UB40 – Red Red Wine

 

I know what some of you might be thinking – “Is Adam suggesting we drink alcohol while working?” No, do not attempt to do your job drunk (unless you’re a writer. Weeee!). “Red Red Wine” is on this playlist because it comes from the album Labour of Love. See, “Labour” is right there in the title, and today’s a holiday, so drink whatever you want.

Side Note – Sadly, I don’t think we’ll ever get a reggae song this beautiful about Four Loko.

The Offspring – Why Don’t You Get a Job

 

It’s Labor Day, but we all know at least a few folks who never seem to labor. Worst of all, they also seem to expect the world. This Offspring classic goes out to them.

That’s all for this edition of Pop Shots, but come back next Monday for more shots on all things pop.

Comments

Popular Posts