3 Reasons You Should See Michael Mayo Live

A couple weeks ago I was getting ready to do some concert hopping in the city when I noticed Michael Mayo would be at Rockwood Music Hall Stage 2. Having wanted to see him live for quite some time, I made it a point to cap my night off with his set.

My third show of the evening, I walked into Stage 2 exhausted, but left enlivened.

Here are three reasons you should see Michael Mayo live.

1. That voice! 

Michael Mayo’s voice is truly special. Crystal clear, and beautifully soulful, there were moments during his set when I noticed even his band was in awe of what they were hearing – and they get to hear him every time they practice!

I think we’re all familiar with artists out there who excel in the studio, but can’t bring it live. Mayo can bring it anywhere, anytime, and with a vibe that will blow you away.

2. He’s bringing back classic R&B 

Speaking of Mayo’s vibe, he and his band have a classic R&B feel that would’ve fit in right alongside acts like Mint Condition, and Tony! Toni! Toné! back in the day.

We haven’t really heard very much of this type of R&B since the Musiq era, and it’s refreshing to hear it once again. When you’re movin’ and groovin’, it’s to the band, not a studio-produced track that was created in hopes of having the music played in the clubs. There’s nothing wrong with making music for the clubs, but I feel like R&B swayed a bit too far in that direction over the past decade-plus, and Mayo is helping sway things back in the direction of Maxwell, and Raphael Saadiq.

Mayo’s lyrical content ranges from introspective songs, to songs about love, and even when he’s scatting – which he does quite well – you can hear the soul behind every syllable.

3. He’ll get you to explore your own musical abilities 

As if seeing one of the great up and coming R&B artists in the city wasn’t enough, if you attend one of Mayo’s shows there’s a chance you might be asked to perform with him.

No, he isn’t going to call you on stage. I’m talking about audience participation, which there’s quite a bit of at a Michael Mayo show. From requests for hand claps, to being asked to use any household item as an instrument, he gets the crowd involved.

When it came to the latter, I took out my keys, and jangled them to the beat like a maraca. I’m totally ready for my Grammy nomination now!

Some of the crowd was a bit reticent to become part of the show, but Mayo exudes such a joy on stage, and it’s so clear that he wants the audience to share in it, that the mood quickly moved from trepidation, to a full on orchestra of glass being tapped, zippers being zipped, and, of course, keys being jangled (you heard me, Grammys!), and you know what – it sounded amazing.

Who wouldn’t want to be part of that?

 

To find out when, and where, Michael Mayo will be performing next, check out his website for show dates.

Comments

Popular Posts