NYC Scene Report – WYLDLIFE, Don’t Believe In Ghosts, & AFIKA


This week’s NYC Scene Report features WYLDLIFE getting exceptionally wild for their latest video, Don’t Believe In Ghosts having TV on the brain, and AFIKA finding an important guide.

* It isn’t rock n roll if there isn’t at least a little danger involved, and that was certainly the case for NYC rockers WYLDLIFE when they filmed the video for their latest single, “Kiss and Tell.” The clip was shot without any permits, which means the band was always one complaint away from finding themselves in a bit of trouble.

The song is in the vein of classic NYC punk rock, so much so that I have no doubt WYLDLIFE would’ve fit in right alongside the greats who frequented the stage at CBGB back in the day.

Click play, and rock out!


* If Max Headroom had been in a really cool NYC indie band, the result might look a little bit like Don’t Believe In Ghosts’ video for their latest single, “Living Like This.”

The band’s frontman, Steven Nathan, discussed the creative clip in a statement, saying, “This video took on an entirely new life as I was editing it in quarantine. As you’ll clearly see when you watch, we put a lot of time and effort into all the details … it was almost eerie how much of it reflected what was coming just weeks after filming.”

Check out the video, and after just one listen I bet you’ll be bopping along to “Living Like This” for the rest of the day.


* NYC-based hip-hop artist AFIKA has a story tell with his latest single, “Guide Me Home” featuring TOTEM. “Life in New York isn't easy,” AFIKA explains, “I’ve found myself indulging in substances a little too much. I sometimes feel alone even though I’m surrounded by millions of people. I often think that this environment is a test of both my true beliefs and core character. ‘Guide Me Home’ is about taking back my power. It’s about refocusing, and reintroducing myself to the world, fully thankful for who and what I am.”

If you’re having a tough day, week, or even year, and are in need of inspiration, click play on “Guide Me Home.” AFIKA is here for ya.


For more of the best of NYC’s indie music scene, come back next Wednesday, and check out the archives for previous columns.

Comments

Popular Posts