NYC Scene Report – The Nuclears, Young Thieves, & more


This week’s NYC Scene Report features The Nuclears with a rock n roll anthem for post-breakup reconciliations, Young Thieves taking a “Skinny Dip,” pronoun making a “run” for it, and Jennifer Denali giving self-love a “Try.”

* NYC-based rock band The Nuclears released their latest album, Barrage Rock, back in April, via Fake Chapter Records, and now they have a lyric video for the single “Back to My Girl.”

A rock n roll anthem about reuniting after an argument, “Back to My Girl” features ‘60s rock influences, and a memorable chorus you’ll be singing along to by the end of the song.

Check out the video, and prepare to want to reunite with a former flame, as The Nuclears will have you strongly considering a post-breakup reconciliation.

(and for more of The Nuclears check out my Stacking The Deck interview with the band’s Mike Dudolevitch by clicking here)


* If you haven’t heard the news, column faves Young Thieves have signed with InVogue Records!

In celebration of this, the NYC-based band released a video for their song “Skinny Dip,” and had a kick ass show at their home base of Arlene’s Grocery this past Friday.

Staying hard at work, an EP – for which the band is working with producer Matt Squire (Panic! at the Disco, Ariana Grande, Katy Perry) – is due out this fall. While we wait for that project, we can keep listening to “Skinny Dip” (which longtime readers may remember I mentioned in my initial review of the band back in 2017), and for more info on Young Thieves check out our Stacking The Deck feature from 2018.

FYI – You can keep your clothes on for all of the above … unless you’d prefer to keep with the “Skinny Dip” theme. I’m not saying which option I chose, but I have a home office, and I’m self-employed. ;)


* NYC-based indie pop artist pronoun hopped on a plane for a trip across the country, and then hopped on a skateboard for the video for her latest single, “run.”

“run” is off pronoun’s recently released full-length debut, i’ll show you stronger, and she explained the song, and video, in a statement, saying, “What's scarier than putting out this record? Putting out music videos. A huge goal of this project is to challenge myself and make myself so uncomfortable I want to implode. I’m really proud I bit the bullet and flew out to LA to get this video done. I was linked up with the amazing (director) Ryan Watanabe, who had a huge part in this treatment and execution. A big part of pronoun was born from events in Los Angeles, (and) I hadn't been back since. Everything about it is like – wait what the hell is she doing … there? And that’s kind of how I feel about the entire past three years.”

Get ready for some cardio, and go for a “run” with pronoun.


* NYC-based singer-songwriter Jennifer Denali has a lot to say about self-acceptance, and self-love, and she lays it all out on her latest single, “Try.”

“‘Try’ is a retrospective,” she explains, “It’s about finding the strength to accept everything that led to who you are, good and bad. For my own journey in loving myself, I came to realize that good or bad doesn't matter, it makes you who you are, and that's what matters.”

Denali continued, adding, “I wrote this song because it was what I was going through at the time. I was reflecting on the things that make me who I am, and that it’s all okay. In a way, I was feeling defeated about not being where I thought I should be in life. Once I reworked the idea of loving myself, I realized I’m right where I'm supposed to be.”

Click play, and give Jennifer Denali a “Try.”


For more of the best of NYC’s indie music scene, come back next Wednesday, and check out the archives for previous columns.

Comments

Popular Posts