Name: Adam Bernard Home: Fairfield, Connecticut, United States About Me: Entertainment journalist with 20 years of experience. Supporter of indie music. Lover of day baseball, and B-movies. Part time ninja. Kicked cancer’s ass. My memoir, ChemBro, is out now!
See my complete profile
Welcome to your weekly dose of pop world musings. Covering all things pop culture, this week Pop Shots is hitting you with thoughts on everything from Katy Perry’s big loss in court, to Carrie Underwood’s big win on the road, to Lil Nas X continuing to be a winner on the charts, and since this is Pop Shots you know everything is seasoned with a little bit of attitude.
* A jury found Katy Perry, as well as Dr. Luke, Max Martin, Cirkut, Juicy J, Sarah Hudson, Capitol Records, Warner Bros. Music Corporation, Kobalt Publishing, and Kasz Money Inc. liable for copying the underlying beat of Christian hip-hop artist Flame’s 2008 song “Joyful Noise” for Perry’s hit “Dark Horse.” Personally, I had no idea that on the eighth day God said let there be copyright lawsuits.
* Cardi B met with presidential candidate Bernie Sanders for a sit down conversation. I imagine the conversation started with each one saying, “Who the f*ck are you?”
* With an additional 30 North American shows to play in September and October, Carrie Underwood’s Cry Pretty Tour could be on its way to earning a total gross of $45-50 million for 2019. Has anyone considered that she cries pretty because her tears are of joy?
* Lil Nas X’s “Old Town Road” has made history, holding on to the #1 spot on the Billboard Hot 100 for 17 consecutive weeks. This bests Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee's “Despacito,” and Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men’s “One Sweet Day,” which both held the previous record of 16 weeks at #1. Of course, only Lil Nas X used the “Oprah Winfrey giving away cars” business plan when it came to remixes.
* Leona Lewis married Dennis Jauch after eight years of dating (he had been a backup dancer on one of her tours). I imagine the wedding must have been quite the mess with Lewis bleeding love all over the place.
* Disturbed had to cancel a show in Saskatchewan, Canada, due to singer David Draiman having vocal issues. In other words, he was down with the sickness.
* The Raconteurs recently performed at the legendary Greek Theatre in L.A., but there was a unique caveat – the Jack White led band said no cell phones could be used during the show. The good news is everyone in The Raconteurs fan base grew up during a time when cell phones didn’t exist (and I can say that as a member of The Raconteurs’ fan base).
* Noah Cyrus waited until the final day of July to release her latest single, titled “July,” but it was definitely worth the wait. Is everyone in that family talented?
And with that, my time is up for the week, but I'll be back next week with more shots on all things pop.