Stacking The Deck with Brooke Moriber


Stacking The Deck is a feature exclusive to Adam’s World where I bring packs of 1991 Pro Set Superstars MusiCards to artists, and we discuss who they find in each pack.

When NYC-based singer-songwriter Brooke Moriber hits the stage the first things you notice are big hair (seriously, it gets up there for her live shows!), and an even bigger voice.

Earlier this spring Moriber brought that power from the stage to fan’s speakers, releasing a full-length album titled Cry Like a Girl, the title track off of which is about the strength that comes with embracing one’s emotions.


I caught up with Brooke after her album release show at Rockwood Music Hall to open up some packs of MusiCards, and the artists we found sparked conversations about undoing old habits, an awkward moment with Madonna, and what Eddie Vedder and bunny rabbits have in common (at least in Brooke’s life).



KISS

Let’s start with KISS. With the full makeup, they’re very theatrical. You come from a theatre background.

Yes. I always try not to tell people about it.

Well, apparently I just ruined that.

No. It’s all good. I’ve actually gotten to the point in my career where people are starting to think – oh, it’s actually cool that you did Broadway musicals, and you’re not going to become a drug addict, and you actually have a good work ethic.

I didn’t realize the drug addict thing was part of Broadway.

No no, because I’ve done Broadway I won’t become like that, I won’t become one of those singer-songwriters who O.D.

But the theatrical element was there with KISS, so what kind of theatrical elements do you bring to your own show?

Hmm. It’s interesting, because I try to step so far away from my Broadway roots when I do music. It’s such a different world. (With music) I’m actually trying to connect with the audience, as opposed to disconnect from them when you’re on a Broadway stage.

What I do try to do, and what I think I’ve done with my album – as far as song order, and what everything is about – is give them an emotional ride. I try to make it a journey, so in a way I really just try to put on a show.

It’s interesting that you mentioned Broadway is about the disconnect with the audience, while music is about connecting with the audience. How difficult was it to make that transition?

You know, it took a long time to undo habits. There are some good habits that I have that I’m thankful for from training in theatre since I was a kid – I have good self-discipline because of that – but even just stylistically, how you sing, I never really sang, typically, like people would on Broadway, I’d always try to have my own style, and everything like that, but any trace of Broadway in my voice I’ve tried to get out.

Like I was staying before, it was difficult going into the industry, and people being like, “Oh, she’s from Broadway, she’s one of those,” but I’m not, I’m a songwriter. I write music. I’m an entertainer, and I happened to have grown up in New York City. I was born and raised here, and if you can sing and dance as a kid, that’s what you end up doing.



Madonna

I have a Madonna story, actually.

{laughs}

Speaking of theatre, I was doing … oh my God, this is gonna be something I don’t know if I should share about Madonna.

Then you should definitely share it!

It’s not a nice story.

You had a bad run-in with Madonna?

She wasn’t very nice to me.

This is not an uncommon thing I’ve heard about her.

I was doing a play with Carlos Leon – the father of their child – who is a sweetheart. We had a nude scene together.

This just got very interesting.

Yeah. It absolutely had to be done, and it was tastefully done, but very graphic. It was a very violent scene, and you know, you would think the last person in the world that would be upset about something like that would be Madonna.

So we heard Madonna was coming that (particular) night, and I was so excited to meet her. I go down to the dressing room area after the show and I hear her yelling at Carlos, “How DARE you do this! How could you let yourself be … we have a child!”

I went up to her when she seemed to have calmed down, I put my hand out, and I was like, “It’s so wonderful to meet you. I’ve been such a fan for so long.” She did not take my hand, totally turned away, ignored me … because I was naked on stage, and apparently that was wrong in her book.

Her book was Sex, and she was naked in it the whole time.

Yes, exactly. I don’t get it.

I was heartbroken. Totally deflated.



John Lennon

Here is someone I know you haven’t had a bad run-in with, John Lennon.

No. I'd love to have a run-in with John Lennon.

Not anytime soon.

No, I know!

But you have a Beatles story somewhere in your life.

My mom sings, as well, and she and I used to harmonize to “Yesterday” all the time. We have some old tape of the two of us doing that. I wish that I could dig that up somewhere. It’s very cute.

{Brooke’s mom enters the room}

And speak of the devil!

Mom! I was just talking about you. Do you want to sing “Yesterday” with me for the interview?

Mom: Nooooo.

Brooke: {laughs}



The Police

Sting released an album last year with Shaggy. Is there anyone you’d like to collaborate with that might surprise people?

Eddie Vedder.

Wow. You answered that so fast.

Yeah, Eddie Vedder, he’s my everything.

Your husband’s cool with that?

I don’t know which one of us wants to have sex with him more, so he’s fine with it.

{laughs}

When did the obsession start?

I grew up listening to Pearl Jam. I think Pearl Jam was my first album.

Ten?

Yeah.

I actually got to meet Eddie at a charity event. I donate some of the funds from my music to the same charity that he and his wife donate to.

And there’s no restraining order yet?

Not yet.

We had a very in-depth conversation about “Yellow Ledbetter,” because I used to cover “Yellow Ledbetter” with my band.

He gave me guitar pick. He gave me a hug.

Wait, how does one cover “Yellow Ledbetter”?

Google it. You’ll find it.

I know, it’s kind of like, how do you figure out the lyrics? It was a project for me.

It’s an anti-war song.

So if Eddie reads this, hit you up, basically.

Yeah, pretty much.



Paula Abdul

Speaking of collaborations, Paula Abdul collaborated with a cartoon cat. If you could collaborate with any cartoon character, who would it be?

It’s actually between two – it’s either Bugs Bunny or Thumper.

It has to be a rabbit.

You have a rabbit obsession.

I am the crazy rabbit lady. I have a rabbit named Sherlock who is free-range, litter trained … rabbits are not meant to live in cages, they are very dog-like, very smart animals. He is the love of my life, and I don’t stop talking about him. If you go on my Instagram he’s at least 50% of my pics. It’s shameless.

So in terms of the loves of your life, you have Eddie Vedder, Sherlock the rabbit, and your husband.

There’s the husband, yeah.

He’s still Top 3.

I did dedicate a song to him tonight.

{laughs}

You did. It seems like he started falling in the rankings when his interviewed started, though, so I wanted to make sure when he reads this he knows he’s still Top 3.

{laughs}

Always Top 3, baby. Always.


For more Brooke Moriber, check out brookemoriber.com, and follow her on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

Comments

Popular Posts