Vid Pick: Kristen Maxfield – Bad Habit


Most of the time, when you have a bad habit it’s something you try to quit, but in the case of Kristen Maxfield’s latest single, she has a jazzy, soulful, sultry “Bad Habit” that you’re not going to want to give up anytime soon.

I first met Maxfield when she was singing with the soul band The Square Egg. Since then she’s broken out on her own as a solo artist, and with “Bad Habit” she says she’s truly found herself in her music.

I caught up with Maxfield to find out more about the song, as well as some of her sultry inspirations, and when we can expect a new full length effort from her.

Let’s talk about your new single, “Bad Habit.” Is it autobiographical in any way, shape, or form?

Yes, “Bad Habit” was inspired by my personal life events, my failed engagement, and the torture and heartbreak that came with that.

My truth about knowing something or someone is bad for you, but not being able to let go, is a reality that stands alone in everyone’s life at some point.

Part of being a musician is sharing your story with your audience, being vulnerable, and allowing them to relate in some way. That sense of connection is what shapes a relationship between the artist and the fans.

With this song I wanted to capture that intertwined feeling of love, lust, and letting go. Even though the song doesn’t say lyrically that I was eventually free from the bondage and chains of it all, the mess of my addiction to this person, the music video was created to show both the strength and empowerment gained by the experience.

Interestingly enough, the person this song was originally written about was not the person, when recording, that I thought about for my vocal inspiration and delivery. It was no longer about my past, but about my future. My new sense of self came out in the studio when recording this song. It was by far the most difficult song, delivery wise, that I’ve recorded, because of its intensity in seduction, but vulnerability in story. It was challenging, but I feel we captured the performance of it quite well. I couldn’t be more proud.

You get definitely get your sexy on in the video. Who were some of your inspirations for your sultriness?

Ha ha! Yes, I most certainly do get my sexy on, but who wouldn’t with this song? It’s about being sexy, sultry, and sassy all wrapped in a bottle of red wine, drenched in a river of chocolate! Sounds delicious.

As for who, or what, inspired my sultriness, I honestly feel like that has always been a part of who I am. I think it is a part of every woman out there. It just comes down to when, where, and how one chooses to express that side of oneself. My song and video just deliver a platform for one to feel comfortable doing so.

As for who, or what, added to that natural sense of sultriness, I would say characters like Jessica Rabbit from Who Framed Roger Rabbit, the movie Dirty Dancing – the title says it all – and even artists of today like Beyoncé, and Christina Aguilera.

What made you want to show off this side of yourself?

As artists in the industry it is so easy to lose your own sense of self. I feel that somewhere along the way in my career I was losing who I was as not just an artist, but as a woman. I felt suffocated by the persona I put on in my past, and vowed to truly open up on this next album about who I really am. No more holding back. This “side of myself” is the real Kristen Maxfield – sexy, sultry, and sassy!

You mentioned a new album. Is “Bad Habit” part of a larger project? What can you tell everyone about what’s in the works?

Yes. “Bad Habit” is the first released single off of my upcoming album, due to drop on November 4th, 2017. The album has a jazz-pop feel, with strong inspirations from artists such as Jamiroquai, Joss Stone, Christina Aguilera, Alicia Keys, and Jason Mraz. It covers the obstacles and accomplishments in my life over the last 15 years.

Through my journey I have discovered that when you face your truths, you discover yourself again.

It’s very rewarding to know that I could have given up and walked away from music, (from) my life, but I didn’t. I faced it, I wrote it, and now I’m sharing it with anyone willing to listen.

Comments

Popular Posts