Vid Pick: Otis Clapp & Ricky Vaughn – Talk To Myself


Queens, NY-based emcee Otis Clapp has been talking to himself, and if you’re a fan of hip-hop you’re going to love the conversation.

“Talk To Myself” is the latest single from Clapp, who teamed up with producer Ricky Vaughn for the effort. Clapp explains the inspiration for the song saying, “From the moment my producer, Ricky Vaughn, showed me this beat, it just gave me a really obscure feel. When I was writing, I did my best to maintain that vibe.”

The video for “Talk To Myself,” which was shot in black and white, and features the incredible growing, and shrinking, head of Otis Clapp, looks like a scene straight out of an old school sci-fi flick.

The mad scientist theme of the video is something Clapp sees parallels with in terms of being an emcee, and his artistic journey. “As far as emceeing, and creating music as a whole, anytime I finish a song it feels like a creation. I'm the guy recording myself, mixing myself, answering myself ... (I'm a fan of myself). Some of my earlier ‘creations’ may not have been as potent as what I'm doing now, or even what I'm about to do, but it's been trial and error, same as conducting an experiment.”

Clapp continued, adding, “I think I've finally found my sound as an artist, but in the process, I've had to lock myself in ‘the lab.’ I've had to build things that didn't work, break them down to nothing, trade sleep to EQ frequencies that bother you, but no one else notices. Start over, create something that works, find out how to improve it. etc. etc. It’s been a 20 year experiment so far, and I think I finally found the potion.”

Check out the sci-fi inspired clip for “Talk To Myself,” and download the song for free at otisclappmusic.com.

Comments

Popular Posts