Vid Pick: Jimmy Valentime – Galaxy


NYC-based hip-hop artist Jimmy Valentime isn’t just reaching for the stars, he’s reaching for the “Galaxy.”

“Galaxy” is the name of Valentime’s latest freestyle, and he’s created a truly unique visual for it that will transport you to the past.

He explains the retro vibe of the clip, saying, “I had started shooting b-roll for ‘Galaxy,’ but decided to scrap it once I found the Animoto website. I was looking up song lyric creators online, as I originally wanted to make a few lyric videos for my last album, Laughing, For the Wrong Reasons, (and) they had a setting that would turn photos in to album covers.”

Album covers would prove to be the perfect visual for Valentime. “The vinyl, to me, harkens back to this 1970’s esthetic, which was part of the inspiration for the lyrics,” he explains. “I was inspired to write ‘Galaxy’ because I was thinking about the death of Carrie Fisher and the anniversary of the death of David Bowie.”
 
Valentime continued, adding, “I was deeply devastated by the death of Carrie Fisher in a way I did not anticipate. I can recall a time pre-internet, and as a kid you’d watch the same movies over and over because there wasn’t much to do, or many places to go. I wanted to create something about seeing the pictures, and you can kind of imagine the things. I tried to frame the images based on sitting somewhere, and looking at something, and it inspires you.”

With equal parts imagination, and inspiration, Valentime’s “Galaxy” is well worth exploring.

Comments

Popular Posts