Vid Pick: Toussaint Morrison – Daisy


For Minnesota-based hip-hop artist Toussaint Morrison, “Daisy” is a flower that took an entire year to bloom.

“The song was produced a year before I began writing for it,” he explains. “I asked (producer) Dr. Wylie to listen to ‘Fall’ (M83 Vs Big Black Delta Remix) by Daft Punk, and then let that influence his hand for the next evening in the studio … The theme Wylie laid down overwhelmed me to reflect on some of the worst moments of my life. It careens like a eulogy for something that could have been saved. Honestly, I was afraid to write for what Wylie had laid down because I knew it required an absolute authentic response, and I clearly wasn't in the place for giving anything authentic of me ... even to music.”

Once he was in the right place, Morrison began to write, and the lyrics became highly emotional. “‘Daisy’ is from the gut, vitriol and hairline trigger of me. The song comes from a bad place and the worst parts of my heart, or lack thereof, to garage sale shades of cutthroat personalities within myself.”

Getting more specific, he adds, “I had a relationship of three years end in an abrupt fashion ... We parted ways upon cars brimming with furniture and belongings. She took the cat, Daisy. Being the prideful and stubborn cat dad I was/am, I wrote Daisy a song, the one you hear before you.”

Morrison notes that while “Daisy” may be a lot of things, one thing it’s not is a concept song. “The song, as well as the rest of this upcoming album, Lesser Restoration, has no foundation or concept, but is bore out of volition and necessity for me to heal. It's a means of confronting the truth, broken pieces of the past, and a potentially dark future.”

He says of the video for “Daisy,” “I couldn't be more proud of how the video turned out, to be honest. It's a selfishly satisfying, vengeful, and venomous song that, again, both satiates and brings to trial the worst parts of me.”

Click play, and pick this “Daisy.”

Comments

Popular Posts