Vid Pick: JMNOP – Let Me Live


Hip-hop heads will definitely recognize the beat to O.I.S.D. emcee JMNOP’s latest, “Let Me Live,” as the song is a new twist on the Jay Z classic “Can I Live.”

JMNOP says that while “Let Me Live” is an homage to one of his favorite albums, by one of his favorite artists, it’s also a statement, aimed at an older generation that has a tendency to be quick to judge the younger generation.

“It's more than just music,” he explains, “it’s more so about how the older generation has so much to say about how the younger generation lives, especially the millennial generation. Things go wrong, we get blamed. You see it with rappers, like, ‘Oh I don't understand mumble rap.’ Funny thing is, nobody understood us when we weren’t mumbling. We got criticized back then, too. (laughs) … It's like, instead of trying to knock us down, why don't you find out why we're the way we are?”

JMNOP adds, “In the original song, Jay is asking ‘Can I Live,’ like can I just do my thing, and enjoy my life without all the scrutiny and judgement from people who wouldn't even understand my lifestyle? I'm saying the same thing, except it's more of a declaration – I'm gonna continue to do me regardless, so deal with it. ‘Let Me Live.’”

One great way to let JMNOP live is to play this one at a high volume.

Comments

Popular Posts