Pop Shots – Celebrating Turning 40


Welcome to your weekly dose of pop world musings. Today is actually quite the big day for me – IT’S MY 40th BIRTHDAY! That’s right, your favorite writer has made it all the way to 40. In honor of this occasion I’ve put together a special edition of Pop Shots that takes a look at 8 artists who also hit or will hit, the big four-oh this year.

Why did I choose the number 8? I honestly don’t know. Maybe I was thinking back to the good ol’ days of Myspace, when we all had a Top 8. Regardless of the reason, here are 8 artists that share my birth year, and prove we can still be pretty cool at 40. Of course, since this is Pop Shots you know everything is seasoned with a little bit of attitude.


Nicole Scherzinger



The lead Pussycat – who once had a guest role on How I Met Your Mother playing Robin Sparkles’ Canadian kids’ show co-host Jessica Glitter – is a fellow 1978 baby. I think it goes without saying that I am still TOTALLY READY to loosen up some buttons with her. I mean, it goes without saying, but I said it anyway.


Nelly Furtado



Nelly Furtado will join the 40 club (not to be confused with the 27 club!) in December, at which point we’ll both be ready to “Turn Off The Light,” although now it will have more to do with going to bed at a reasonable hour. Hey, getting a good night’s sleep is sexy as f*ck!


Usher



Usher and I actually have not one, but THREE random connections. First, he was born the day before me, and I’m still convinced he sucked all the singing and dancing talent out of that 24 hour period. Second, at a concert after-party I accidentally ate food that I’m pretty sure was meant for his entourage. Third, I once wrote for his website.

And since it’s my birthday, much like Usher, “I got plans to put my hands in places I never seen, girl you know what I mean.” Wait, what?


Sisqo



Sisqo will hit 40 next month, and his mega-hit “Thong Song” will always hold a special place in my heart because it was part of the soundtrack to countless nights out during my undergrad years. Pretty much every bar played it at least once a night, and the reaction was magical.

Also, the music video is a totally realistic depiction of my birthday festivities. (It’s my birthday, you can’t tell me I can’t float on air while at the beach!)


Max Collins



Eve 6 is a dope band that gave us quite a few a late ‘90s rock staples, including “Inside Out,” “Here’s To The Night,” and “Think Twice.”

I’ve spoken with Eve 6 frontman Max Collins a few times – including to talk about his latest project, FITNESS – and he’s always been a fantastic interview. Plus I saw Eve 6 as part of the Summerland Tour in 2014, and they were great. So yeah, Max ranks high on the list of cool 40 year olds.


Karen O



Yeah Yeah Yeahs are a ridiculously underrated band that should be talked about way more often (like how I’m doing right now. Look at me, out here practicing what I preach), and frontwoman Karen O is a totally awesome alt-rock force of nature.

In a semi-related story – I want a pet gold lion! (Although I should probably get a bigger place first)


John Legend



I have an unfortunate story involving John Legend. Back in the day I was both writing and editing for an urban music website. At the time a buddy of mine was an aspiring journalist who’d recently graduated college and needed clips. I hooked him up with a few interviews so he could have something to show editors other than what he wrote in school. One of those interviews happened to be with John Legend. Yup, I gave him an artist who’d go on to reach EGOT status. To add insult to injury the guy ended up quitting journalism shortly thereafter!

Sad story aside, Legend’s video for “Green Light” is another realistic depiction of my birthday festivites … if I had Legend’s sense of style, obscenely large living room, and a guest list that included Three Stacks.


AJ McLean



Backstreet Boy AJ McLean is a fellow 40 year old, and even if you don’t click play on this video, I just want you to know … you are my fiiiiiire. (The song is stuck in your head now, isn’t it?)


Of course there are a plethora of other great artists who hit, or will hit, 40 this year, including Julian Casablancas, Diplo, Tyrese, and Taryn Manning … and then there’s K-Fed. I guess if you think it’s too normal to sing “Happy Birthday” to me, you can break into a rousing version of “PopoZao.”


And with that, my time is up for the week, but I'll be back next week with more shots on all things pop.

Comments

Popular Posts