Name: Adam Bernard Home: Fairfield, Connecticut, United States About Me: Entertainment journalist with 15+ years of experience. Supporter of indie music. Lover of day baseball, fringe movies, & chicken shawarma. Part time ninja. Nerdy, but awesome. See my complete profile
Welcome to your weekly dose of pop world musings. Covering all things pop culture, this week Pop Shots is hitting you with thoughts on everything from Adele not feeling so “super,” to Maple Leif Garrett (aka Justin Bieber) leaving Instagram, to Madonna auditioning to work at the AARP version of Scores, and since this is Pop Shots you know everything is seasoned with a little bit of attitude.
* Adele claims she turned down an offer to perform at the 2017 Super Bowl halftime show, although according to the NFL, and halftime show sponsor Pepsi, that's news to them, as they deny an offer was ever made. This means Adele fans are now only two years away from an album of thinly veiled disses of Roger Goodell, and Wild Cherry Pepsi.
* Britney Spears will be performing at this year's MTV Video Music Awards. I think I speak for everyone when I say, bring the python or we riot!
* After reading a multitude of negative comments on his Instagram, Maple Leif Garrett, aka Justin Bieber, threatened to make his account private. His ex, Selena Gomez, replied, in a comment, "If you can't handle the hate, then stop posting pictures of your girlfriend lol – It should be special between you two only. Don't be mad at your fans. They love you." Bieber responded to this by deleting his Instagram account. Gomez, feeling a bit bad about how things escalated, jumped on Snapchat to apologize, writing, “What I said was selfish and pointless.” Hey Selena, just because you may feel, in retrospect, your comments were selfish, and pointless, doesn't mean they weren’t also accurate.
* Amy Lee, of Evanescence fame, will be releasing an album of children's music, titled, Dream Too Much. Due out September 30th, exclusively via Amazon Music, there's no word on if there will be a breastfeeding version of "Call Me When You're Sober," but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
* Taylor Swift donated $1 million to Louisiana flood relief efforts. This means Taylor Swift has done more to help the victims of this disaster than our government. Taylor Swift for president! Print the bumper stickers now!
* Justin Timberlake made a newlywed couple's day when he happened to walk by while they were in the middle of their wedding photo shoot. The father of the bride convinced JT to take a quick photo with the bride and groom, although he apparently didn't need to do all that much in the way of convincing, as JT was more than happy to take a few pics with the couple before letting them know he was about to go to another wedding. After hearing this story, I just have to say... Justin Timberlake for vice president on the Taylor Swift ticket! Swift-Timberlake! Print the t-shirts now!
* Lady Gaga and her father, Joe Germanotta are releasing a cookbook. The elder Germanotta owns an Italian-American restaurant in NYC. The younger Germanotta has featured someone who vomits on her on stage. Here's hoping the cookbook won't inspire the latter.
* In celebration of her 58th birthday, Madonna partied in Cuba, dancing on a table for the enjoyment of onlookers. Normally if you want to see a 58 year old mother of four dancing on a table you have to show up pretty early at the strip club.
* Billy Corgan has been named president of Impact Ventures, which is the parent company of TNA Wrestling. It's now only a matter of time before every wrestler in TNA has a Smashing Pumpkins song as their entrance music.
* Finally, I wish American pop stars would have more pajama themed choreography in their music videos (you'll want to go full screen with this one).
And with that, my time is up for the week, but I'll be back next week with more shots on all things pop.