Name: Adam Bernard Home: Fairfield, Connecticut, United States About Me: Entertainment journalist with 15+ years of experience. Supporter of indie music. Lover of day baseball, fringe movies, & chicken shawarma. Part time ninja. Nerdy, but awesome. See my complete profile
Welcome to your weekly dose of pop world musings. Covering all things pop culture, this week Pop Shots is hitting you with thoughts on everything from how close we are to hearing a new U2 album, to a new beef for Bieber, to new music from Tove Lo, and since this is Pop Shots you know everything is seasoned with a little bit of attitude.
* Bono has stated the next U2 album isn’t quite ready, saying, "It's not finished yet, but you will like it.” Since this is U2 we're talking about, you can find the rough demos on your hard drive, where they've already been given five stars in your iTunes library.
* Ariana Grande started a Soundcloud page to share two previously unreleased songs. She used the URL arianagrandeforrealidkwhyicantgetmyownlinkbutok (Ariana Grande for real IDK (I Don't Know) why I can't get my own link but OK), because that just rolls off the tongue, and looks great on a t-shirt.
* Maple Leif Garrett, aka Justin Bieber, started beef with Taylor Swift on Instagram, posting a pic of himself FaceTiming with Kanye West, and captioning it "Taylor Swift What Up." Somewhere, Puffy saw this, and thought, "I bet I could find a way to get 'em BOTH killed over this."
* In a clip from Running Wild With Bear Grylls, Nick Jonas stripped down to his underwear, and hopped in an ice-cold lake, where he ended up losing feeling in his hands and feet. I gotta ask, with the frozen lakes, and the animal guts, and the drinking of his own urine, why does anyone ever hang out with Bear Grylls?
* Tony Bennett turned 90 last week, but he's not slowing down. In fact, he's planning another album with Lady Gaga. Of course, at age 90, there's a chance he thinks he's working with Sammy Davis Jr.
* When Britney Spears was asked whether she'd rather sit next to Taylor Swift, or Katy Perry, on a 24-hour plane ride, she replied, "I would say Taylor Swift, because I’ve never met her before.” The only problem with that answer is she's met Taylor, TWICE. I guess when Britney tried to have her memory wiped of ever having sex with Kevin Federline, some extra memories were lost in the shuffle.
* Modest Mouse frontman Isaac Brock was cited for crashing into a City of Portland pickup truck after falling asleep at the wheel. Portland Police spokesman Sgt. Pete Simpson said Brock hit the back of the city truck, which hit a Subaru, which hit another Subaru, which likely hit a fifth car that left the scene perhaps not knowing it had been tapped. This five vehicle theory would make for the most people who've cared about Modest Mouse in years.
* Kesha voluntarily dismissed her lawsuit in California against producer Dr. Luke, shifting her legal strategy to the East Coast, as her deal with Kemosabe Records stipulates all contractual issues be litigated in New York, where Luke is simultaneously suing Kesha for breach of contract and defamation. I know this is a serious matter, but a small part of me wishes the proceedings would turn into an episode of Cop Rock, with Kesha jumping on a table, and singing her case.
* Last, but not least, new Tove Lo! She's here to let you know she's a "Cool Girl" with a song that's perfect for cranking up with the windows down.
And with that, my time is up for the week, but I'll be back next week with more shots on all things pop.
B-Listers are a select group of artists that were featured in my Artist Of The Week series that ran every Monday from April of '06 to April of '11. All of these artists have two things in common; extreme talent, and a flight path far too under the radar for my liking. They took on the title of B-Listers as they embraced being featured by me, Adam B. Check out the AOTW Archives for all the interviews.