About Me

Name: Adam Bernard
Home: Fairfield, Connecticut, United States
About Me: Entertainment journalist with 15+ years of experience. Supporter of indie music. Lover of day baseball, fringe movies, & chicken shawarma. Part time ninja. Nerdy, but awesome.
See my complete profile
Bios & Press Releases

Bios: $250-$300
Press Releases: $50

Check out samples here

For more info, or to set something up, email me

Artist Advice e-book

Muscle For Your Hustle What Every DIY Musician Needs to Know (2011)

A collection of 22 of my best artist advice articles

Pick it up for just $1

Photo Ops

w/ Beautiful Bodies ('15)

w/ Michael Imperioli ('14)

w/ Millionaires ('12)

w/ Adam Duritz, iLLspoKinN & Notar ('10)

w/ Kevin Pereira on the old set of
Attack of the Show ('09)

Magazine Articles

Rocko The Intern

July 2010 - January 2013
Rachel Brown Leaps From Fear To Fame
Thursday, December 18, 2014

The music of NYC singer-songwriter Rachel Brown is something you almost didn’t get the chance to hear. “It’s amazing that I ever even came out and said I wanted to do music,” she says, “because it was something I was very private about for a long time.”

Brown continued, “If people really knew the level to which my shyness stands in the way of things they would be shocked that I ever get on the microphone to begin with.”

Conquering that shyness was a goal Brown knew she had to achieve, and she tackled the issue in two stages.

“The first step,” she explains, “was just knowing that this is what I wanted to do, and there was no other way to do it. I started writing songs, and I fell in love with that, and I love to sing them, and share them, and obviously that can only happen if you actually do those things, so when that finally became a reality I was like you know what, I’m gonna do this, and I started going to open mics, and that kind of thing.”

Although she describes her first open mic experience in terms more suited for a review of a slasher film, saying, “I was terrified. I cried before. It was horrifying,” once performing became a little less daunting, she says, “The second part was just doing it constantly.”

Brown notes, “I got very lucky that after a certain point I was able to perform all the time, multiple times a week, and it’s just that frequency that really got me more comfortable, and really nothing else. I find that even if I stop performing for a while, that first show ends up being much more nerve wracking as opposed to when I’m out on the road for a while, or playing regularly at home.”

Now Brown is known to perform multiple sets in one night, even having an evening at The Darby (which has since become Up and Down) that began at 5:30pm and didn’t end until 1am.

Those who’ve been in attendance at one of her shows have heard firsthand the development of Brown’s worldly sound. It’s a sound many would assume comes from her Ethiopian, Bermudian, and Southern roots, but she places much of the credit to being born and raised in NYC.

“I think growing up in New York is a big part of how I ended up playing the music that I play now,” she explains, “and then having a multicultural background is probably what primed me for being so open to different sounds.”

A self-taught musician, Brown attended Harvard, where she studied film. Ironically, Berklee College of Music is in the same city, and although Brown feels she might have learned a few things a little faster with instruction, she says, “I’m glad that I did it on my own time, because I never really got burned out by it. It never really felt like work.”

Originally starting out on the guitar, a few years after receiving a ukulele as a gift, Brown began to teach herself the chords for the songs she wanted to write on that instrument, as well. The addition of the ukulele to her repertoire yielded immediate, and noticeable, results.

“I’ve always loved anything with an island sound, or anything that’s island related,” she says, “(it’s) probably, in part, (from) having Bermudian roots, having that connection, but I also think most people would probably say they feel good when they hear things that are island-ish. It’s been evidenced by the way people react when I pull out the ukulele. Everybody seems really happy when I play that.”

In 2012 Brown made people happy with her debut EP, Building Castles, and she’s continuing her musical evolution with her new single, “Me & You.” She says of her artistic growth between releases, “When I recorded Building Castles the band that I played with live was about half the size. I had percussion, but I didn’t have a drummer. Now I have a drummer, I have horns, I have all these things, so there’s this energy in it now that didn’t exist at the time of Building Castles. It’s still me, it’s just amped up.”

The amped up Brown completed her second EP over the summer, with an early 2015 release date in her sights.

With new music on the way, expect plenty of performances, as well, which, ironically, and triumphantly, has become a trademark of the formerly shy artist who was once terrified to hit the stage.

Interview originally ran on Arena.com.


posted by Adam Bernard @ 1:00 PM  
Post a Comment
<< Home

Email List

Popular Columns

The Struggles Foreign Artists Face in the US, & How to Overcome Them

Ten Secrets for Making a Show a Success Despite a Low Turnout

What Happens to an Artist When Their Record Label Folds

Latest Podcast

The Drunk Train #9
feat. Lucy Camp
& Toussaint Morrison
Stand-Up Comedy

My set from Soce's
First-Timer's Show (April '14)
B-Lister Nation
B-Listers are a select group of artists that were featured in my Artist Of The Week series that ran every Monday from April of '06 to April of '11. All of these artists have two things in common; extreme talent, and a flight path far too under the radar for my liking. They took on the title of B-Listers as they embraced being featured by me, Adam B. Check out the AOTW Archives for all the interviews.

Friends of Adam’s World
60 Second Review
Adam John | Kid Kryptic
Always Home and Uncool
Backpack Cat
Claudia Alick
Definitely Amazing
Gangstarr Girl
Fly Like Dove
Halo Doesn’t Suck
I Are Conscious
Jesse Abraham
Joey K’s Place
Jus Rhyme
Ken Morico
Life of a Rockstar
MC Larny Rocks
Nappy Diatribe
Nobody Beats The Liz
Paul Gargano
Pay Us No Mind
Popular Opinions
Ramblings of the BK GrrlGenius
Sleep Dirt
Speech Is My Hammer
Stamford Talk
The 54 Reality Show
The BillaBlog
The Race to Nowhere
xo Publicity

Member Of


Wikio - Top Blogs - Music

Alltop, confirmation that I kick ass

    Older Posts                 Newer Posts