Name: Adam Bernard Home: Fairfield, Connecticut, United States About Me: Entertainment journalist with 15+ years of experience. Supporter of indie music. Lover of day baseball, fringe movies, & chicken shawarma. Part time ninja. Nerdy, but awesome. See my complete profile
Welcome to your weekly dose of pop world musings. Covering all things pop culture, this week Pop Shots is hitting you with thoughts on everything from LMFAO burning down the house, to Kelly Clarkson making sure she doesn’t burn too many bridges, to Sinead O’Connor quickly burning up that marriage certificate, and since it’s Pop Shots you know everything is seasoned with a little bit of attitude.
* LMFAO needed a new prop for their December 28th show in Honduras - fire hoses. This after the venue caught ablaze during their performance. At least 15 concert goers were treated for smoke inhalation. Local police think someone set fire to the venue’s electrical system, but we all know the truth - people simply spontaneously combusted from party rockin too hard.
* This past week Kelly Clarkson learned of the perils of voicing one’s opinion on the internet. After tweeting out her support of Republican presidential hopeful Ron Paul she received a deluge of vitriolic replies. To Clarkson’s credit she handled everything with poise and grace, basically saying people are allowed to disagree and that she welcomes hearing what her fans have to say. If everyone on the internet replied to criticism in this way YouTube videos would be completely devoid of comments.
* According to the Hollywood Reporter, Lady Gaga and Vampire Diaries actor Taylor Kinney are officially a couple. It’s a killer combination of things destined to fade away.
* Michael Buble’s Christmas album has spent five weeks at the top of the Billboard album charts. Chanukah hopes next year it will have a holiday album celebrating it be number one for eight nights.
* 18 year old Ben Breedlove made two YouTube clips titled “This Is My Story” that have inspired quite a few folks. Breedlove, who suffered from hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, posted the clips, which were about the three times he’d cheated death, only days before he passed away. One of the descriptions of his cheating of death involved a vision of being in a long white room with his favorite rapper, Kid Cudi. Seeing this inspired Cudi to write an open letter about it. The letter closed with Cudi saying “To Ben’s family, you raised a real hero, he’s definately (sic) mine. You have my love.” We could really use a few more Kid Cudis in this industry.
* Odd Future frontman Tyler The Creator, who has quickly, and thankfully, become the musical equivalent of an internet meme, was arrested on suspicion of felony vandalism last week after an electric soundboard was destroyed after his show at the Roxy Theater in LA. For the record, Nyan Cat would have never destroyed the boards, and probably would have done a better show.
* Justin Bieber’s grandparents flipped their SUV in Ontario last week. Apparently they had just found out they’re the grandparents of Justin Bieber.
* Sinead O’Connor found a way to make Kim Kardashian’s marriage look like an epic love story of Shakespearian proportions. The bald headed one broke it off with her fourth husband after just 16 days. Apparently he was a drug abuse counselor and she’s a drug abuser. How this never came up in their whirlwind, hours long, courtship is a complete mystery!
* Tweet of the Week:@rmitty I laughed hearing Bruce Jenner say “I was an 18 year old boy once.” A 62 year old woman - that I can believe, Bruce.
* Katy Perry and Russell Brand have officially split and I’m furiously working to add “because Katy just couldn’t resist journalist Adam B” to that statement. Once it’s on the internet it has to be true! C’mon Katy, you know I’m a firework! ;)
And with that, my time is up for the week, but I'll be back next week with more shots on all things pop.
B-Listers are a select group of artists that were featured in my Artist Of The Week series that ran every Monday from April of '06 to April of '11. All of these artists have two things in common; extreme talent, and a flight path far too under the radar for my liking. They took on the title of B-Listers as they embraced being featured by me, Adam B. Check out the AOTW Archives for all the interviews.