An Ode to The Acoustic

The Acoustic – the legendary music venue at 2926 Fairfield Ave. in Bridgeport, CT – is experiencing another growth spurt, but this time, along with expanding, it has outgrown its name. No longer The Acoustic (or The Acoustic Cafe, as it was previously known), the space that has been a home for the local music scene since 1999 will reopen with an entirely new look, and under the name Park City Music Hall.

The name change comes with new ownership, but thankfully the new owners have ties to the venue’s musical legacy, and have every intention of adding to that legacy.

At first I had mixed feelings about the name change. The Acoustic has always meant so much to me, and many others, but the more I thought about the change, the more I realized this means The Acoustic now has a definitive place in history. There is now an Acoustic era.

The Acoustic era took place from 1999 to 2020, featured multiple changes in ownership, multiple renovations, and even made it through needing to be saved in 2012, when the local music community rallied to keep the venue alive.

The impressive community support wasn’t just because the place had great music, it was because of the people that defined The Acoustic.

It was always the people that made The Acoustic special.

There was Rich – for all the Acoustic O.G.s out there – Will, Kelli, Tanya, Larissa, Big Future, Al, and countless others. Friendly faces, amazing souls, and the true foundation of the venue.

This is why, in addition to the shows I covered there, and interviews I did in the green room, I made countless friends at The Acoustic, some of whom I know will be friends for life.

In 2017, three days before my first chemo treatment, I was at The Acoustic getting hugs and well-wishes, while checking out PitchBlak Brass Band.

Following chemo, once I was cleared to be in crowds again, I was at The Acoustic getting a different kind of hug – celebratory hugs – and feeling the love (fun fact – I was actually partying with some of my nurses!).

I’ve long realized how spoiled I’ve been as a music fan, and music journalist, having a place like The Acoustic literally five minutes from my home.

One of my favorite things to do on a random weeknight would be to check the lineup, and if I hadn’t heard of anyone on the bill I’d head over, pay the $5 or $10 to get in, and hope to discover a new favorite artist, or band. Over the years I found a lot of great artists, and bands, and in the process I met some truly amazing people.

Will I be checking the lineups for shows at Park City Music Hall once its doors officially open? Absolutely.

Will I expect the place to have the same vibe as The Acoustic? No, because that wouldn’t be fair. The place will develop its own vibe over time. Heck, depending on how often I’m there, I may become part of its vibe (I think that may have been the case over my two decades of attending shows at The Acoustic).

I look forward to enjoying nights at Park City Music Hall. At the same time, I’m incredibly thankful I can say I was there for, and part of, The Acoustic era.

Comments

Popular Posts