Name: Adam Bernard Home: Fairfield, Connecticut, United States About Me: Entertainment journalist with 15+ years of experience. Supporter of indie music. Lover of day baseball, fringe movies, & chicken shawarma. Part time ninja. Nerdy, but awesome. See my complete profile
Welcome to your weekly dose of pop world musings. Covering all things pop culture, this week Pop Shots is hitting you with thoughts on everything from Cardi B’s interesting cause, to Wayne Coyne’s demented idea for a vinyl release, to a Slayer fan’s unique attempt to re-enter a show, and since this is Pop Shots you know everything is seasoned with a little bit of attitude.
* Cardi B has been showing support for Club Love & Lust – the strip club in Brooklyn where she used to work – in hopes of getting the venue reopened after it was recently shut down by the NYPD. We all need causes that are close to our heart, and it’s nice to see that Cardi’s found one so close to … well … the silicone bag on top of her heart.
* Wayne Coyne of The Flaming Lips has a horrible idea for a record release. After the band’s 2012 Record Store Day special edition that included the actual blood of collaborators in the packaging, including Kesha and Erykah Badu, Coyne now wants to press up vinyl that will include the urine of Miley Cyrus. Somewhere, R. Kelly is wishing he’d thought of this first.
* Upon learning that Maple Leif Garrett, aka Justin Bieber, wears underwear only once, and then sells those used briefs online, Shawn Mendes joked with James Corden that he’d spend up to $500 for a pair of the Biebs’ BVDs. FYI, if you make a similar offer when calling Victoria’s Secret customer service, you get put on a list. At least, that’s what I’ve heard.
* Sarah Michelle Gellar and Selma Blair had a Cruel Intentions reunion at Pink’s concert at The Forum in L.A. I just have one question – how come Buffy The Vampire Slayer never shows up at the concerts I attend?!?!
* Speaking of slayers, at a recent Slayer concert in Toronto, which took place at the water-surrounded Budweiser Stage, an inebriated fan who had been kicked out by security tried to swim back to the show. Sadly, he didn’t make it back in, as security and medical personnel were waiting for him on the other side of the lake. He immediately became a hero to the other concert goers, however, and personally, I find his feat more impressive than all of Michael Phelps’ Olympic gold medals combined.
* For all the talk on social media about “canceling” Kanye West, his latest album, Ye, debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200 chart. So here’s your social media lesson for the day – you can’t just say something, you actually have to do something. Your hashtags are useless if there’s no action behind them.
* AJ McLean, of Backstreet Boys fame, is going country with his latest single, “Back Porch Bottle Service.” Judging by the sound of it, it seems more like back porch Auto-Tune service.
* Ricky Martin ended a six show run at the Monte Carlo Theater in Las Vegas with a first-time-ever duet with famed American Idol hopeful William Hung, who once completely mangled Martin’s “She Bangs,” while simultaneously endearing himself to the entire world. Incidentally, this qualifies as more stage time, and a better push, than many of the show’s winners have received.
* Bebe Rexha and Florida Georgia Line’s “Meant to Be” has led Billboard's Hot Country Songs chart for 25 weeks, making it the longest reigning #1 for a song by a duo, or group, in the chart’s 59 year history. Ironically, the song it bested was another Florida Georgia Line song, “Cruise.” I think there’s a chance these Florida Georgia Line guys might know how to make a hit.
And with that, my time is up for the week, but I'll be back next week with more shots on all things pop.