Name: Adam Bernard Home: Fairfield, Connecticut, United States About Me: Entertainment journalist with 15+ years of experience. Supporter of indie music. Lover of day baseball, fringe movies, & chicken shawarma. Part time ninja. Nerdy, but awesome. See my complete profile
Welcome to your weekly dose of pop world musings. Covering all things pop culture, this week Pop Shots is hitting you with thoughts on everything from Christina Aguilera’s cryptic tweet, to Dave Grohl’s interesting invite, to Anne-Marie’s relationship revelation, and since this is Pop Shots you know everything is seasoned with a little bit of attitude.
* Christina Aguilera shared a strange video on Twitter featuring a fragment of the word “liberation,” which has since been revealed to be the title of her next album. Being that the video was glitchy, and I watch a lot of horror movies, I assumed she was trapped in a basement somewhere, and this was an attempt to tell us she was seeking liberation. So much for my #FreeXtina hashtag.
* *NSYNC joined Justin Timberlake for his scheduled appearance on The Ellen DeGeneres Show this past week, playing a game of “Never Have I Ever,” with DeGeneres asking a series of hookup related questions. When she asked if any of them had ever hooked up with a member of the Spice Girls, Timberlake flipped his paddle to say “I Have.” Apparently he took “Spice Up Your Life” literally!
* Post Malone’s new album, Beerbongs & Bentleys is on course to break the record for the biggest streaming week ever, and with that news, the argument against counting streams towards album sales has never been stronger.
* Foo Fighters frontman Dave Grohl invited John Travolta to join him on stage in Jacksonville, Florida, as the band played the Grease classic “You’re The One That I Want.” I don’t know what scares me more about this, the prospect of Dave Grohl being a Scientologist, or the prospect of Dave Grohl loving Grease.
* In news that has become pretty much commonplace, Kanye West said a bunch of batsh*t insane things during interviews last week. All I’m concerned about is how all this is going to affect Yeezy Dating. I still haven’t found my soulmate yet!
* Zayn Malik and Gigi Hadid appear to be back together. Apparently they’re looking to reclaim their crown as the most boring couple in the universe.
* A #MuteRKelly campaign was launched on social media last week. While muting would be nice, in light of the nature of his transgressions, castration might be a better option.
* Imagine Dragons frontman Dan Reynolds has split his wife of seven years, Aja Volkman. Volkman, however, won’t have to dwell on this for long, as her band, Nico Vega, are back after an extended hiatus. Is this the whole “circle of life” thing at work? Someone get Elton John on the phone so we can figure this out!
* SiriusXM has launched The Fleetwood Mac Channel. All of the songs featured on the channel have slept with each other.
* Moby is auctioning off a significant amount of his gear in support of the medical charity Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine. You know, most of the time I see artists “auctioning” their gear it’s because they’re really irresponsible with “medicine.”
* Bob Dylan announced he’s starting his own whiskey company named Heaven’s Door. I look forward to Guns N’ Roses coming out with the exact same whiskey in a few years.
* Raphael Saadiq will be embarking on his first headlining tour since 2012, heading out on a seven-city run that begins July 20th. This means that come April/May of 2019 we can expect to see a lot of babies being born.
* Anne-Marie – best known for her work with Marshmello, and Clean Bandit – confirmed what many inferred from her lyrics, saying she dates both men and women. I mean, that’s all well and good, but from what I hear she still just wants to be F-R-I-E-N-D-S.
And with that, my time is up for the week, but I'll be back next week with more shots on all things pop.