Pop Shots – My Lung Surgery Playlist


Welcome to your weekly dose of pop world musings. As some of you may know, I’ve had a rough year – testicular cancer diagnosis, surgery, chemo – and this morning I’m going to the hospital one more time to get a tumor, and the section of my left lung it’s attached to, removed.

Normal people freak out right before having surgery to remove a section of their lung. Me? I’m all, “Let’s make a lung surgery playlist!”

After going through dozens of breathing related songs, and noticing many of them are about not breathing, I decided to make this playlist the complete story of what will be my day.

So check out my lung surgery playlist, and since this is Pop Shots, you know everything is seasoned with a little bit of attitude.

Evanescence – Going Under


While I will, in no way, be “falling forever,” I will most definitely be “Going Under” for this operation. Let’s just say lung surgery calls for a little more than a local anesthetic.

Until I take that surgery nap, however, you can be sure I will be rockin’ out exactly this hard.

Life is a concert, and I crank it up to eleven.

Hooverphonic – Lung


For my surgery I can take the chorus of this song almost completely literally. “Let’s open it / Be strong / Cut out / it’s lung.” Thankfully I’m not losing a full lung, but I’m having part of a lung cut out, so let’s just say this one’s relatable … and dope!

Weird Al – Like A Surgeon


I can say with complete certainty that this will not be the very first time my surgeon cuts, but Weird Al has always been a part of the soundtrack of my life, so how could I possibly leave this classic out of my surgery playlist?

Britney Spears – Piece Of Me


My doctors most definitely want a piece of me. Actually, I want them to have that piece of me, as that particular piece has the potential to cause some seriously complications in my life. So take that piece of me, medical team … and then do a choreographed dance routine. I’m sure professional choreography is covered by my health insurance.

The Police – Every Breath You Take


Setting aside the stalker vibe of this song, for me “Every Breath You Take” is totally about how the doctors and nurses will be monitoring my breathing both during, and immediately after, surgery. Every breath I take, they’ll be watching me … because they have to make sure everything went as planned.

Katy Perry – Waking Up In Vegas


While I won’t literally be waking up in Vegas, I’ll be “waking up in Vegas” in the abstract sense of the phrase. I’ll have no idea what happened after blacking out (from anesthesia), I’ll wonder how long I was out, and I could quite possibly find myself married to Katy Perry. OK, that last part probably won’t happen, but there’s always a chance!

Kelly Clarkson – Catch My Breath


In the most literal sense, I will need to take some time to “Catch My Breath” post-surgery. The lung is an organ that heals rapidly, but I’m still gonna have to chill on the intense cardio for a week, or two. As someone who doesn’t do “sedentary,” this will actually be a bit of a challenge.

Bush – Machinehead


“Breathe in. Breathe out. Breathe in. Breathe out. Breathe in.” Gavin Rossdale closes out this playlist giving me some solid post-surgery advice.

And with that, my time is up for the week, but I'll be back next week with more shots on all things pop.

Comments

Popular Posts