Vid Pick: Jon Hope – Savage Beauty


During the summer of 2015 I discovered a super-talented hip-hop artist by the name of Jon Hope. His work was passionate, his lyrics were top notch, and his star began rising at a rapid rate. Then, in early 2016, he disappeared.

Fast-forward to a few weeks ago, and it was with great excitement that I saw an email from Hope in my inbox, letting me know he’d released a video for a new piece titled “Savage Beauty.” Wanting to know more about the clip, and where he’d been for the past year-plus, I caught up with Hope to find out what he’s been up to.

First off, where have you been?!?! It’s been a while since we last heard from you. What was the reason for your break, and your social media blackout? Was it artistic downtime? Were you simply super focused? Where was Jon Hope?

It has been some time since I have been active. For some reason I tend to go off the grid, and just live life.

I think as an indie artist we tend to operate, and get caught up, in everyone else’s pace, and we punish ourselves for it. I just wanted to hear my own pulse, and create without a social deadline.

I also got involved with new things, and expanded my reach as an entrepreneur. I bought property, and am developing my creative space – the Zayn Butler Compound in Providence. I’m also a professor at a university in New England, teaching a hip-hop inspired course that I designed.

Why do you feel “Savage Beauty” is the perfect piece to re-announce your artistic presence with?

“Savage Beauty” is right on time. The hysteria, the divisiveness, all the bullshit that’s going on in America, particularly affecting young people of color – I’d be a fool not to dive head first into it as an artist.

This project is a conduit for people who want to transition to a better situation in their lives.

I think Trump’s administration is indirectly forcing us to take a hard look at humanity, and remove labels, religions, creeds, class, etc., and do whatever it takes to push the agenda of goodwill.

How do we get to that point of savagery to beauty? This project looks for the answer.

There’s a lot of hope in this piece – no pun intended.

If you start from the premise that no one is exempt from prejudice, harm, depression, violence, etc. … then there’s no room for judgment, and people will gravitate to the idea of something better. I just want to do my part as a creative to foster that.

How did the video come together, and in what ways do you feel the imagery represents the message?

I have to thank the director, Jon Walley, and Chris Peaks for execution of my vision. It was a collaborative effort to set the tone of what’s to come on the project. It’s like a visual hike from elements of my childhood as a foster, to the violence in my city of Providence (Rhode Island), to the craziness going in America, all the while you see the thread of the forest, which represents that search, or desire, for more.

It’s one of my proudest moments as a writer.

You mentioned “Savage Beauty” is off of an upcoming project. What can you tell everyone about it?

Savage Beauty is my upcoming project, and it’s less personal. This is about me looking outward, and curating other voices. I have dope production from Bongo By The Way (Chance The Rapper, Jerimih, The Game), and Kris Fame (Lupe Fiasco), and it will feature some of the dopest talent from New England.

The new single is “ChamPain,” which is hard, and really in line with the tone of the rest of the project. I also partnered up with creative director Phil Johnston to executive produce (the project), and guide me.

For more Jon Hope, check out jonhopemusic.com.

Comments

Popular Posts