NYC Scene Report – Kiri T, Strawberry Runners, & more


This week’s NYC Scene Report features a dance filled subway ride courtesy of pop artist Kiri T, indie pop band Strawberry Runners offering up drink from their “Garden Hose,” R&B newcomer Leuca on the verge of going interstellar with “Jupiter,” and “nu-wop” trio PEP getting in some cardio with “Run.”

* NYC-based pop artist Kiri T’s latest single is titled “Rearview Mirror,” but she’s definitely an artist you’ll make a u-turn to hear more from (OK, not the best car metaphor in the world, but also not the worst!).

In a statement, Kiri said of the song, “‘Rearview Mirror’ is a feel-good song about leaving your past behind, and finding the fun in losing control.”

She added, “I made a conscious decision to leave this comfort zone of Hong Kong and move to New York because I believe this is the scene I belong to, and really want to see how far I can go. Challenge my limitations, hands on the driver’s wheel, full speed ahead, no regrets, not looking at my rear view mirror.”

For the video, Kiri teamed up with director Jonah Best and dancer Danzel Thompson-Stout to create a subway ride that would actually make me want to hear the phrase, “It’s showtime!” Check it out.


* Brooklyn’s Strawberry Runners will be releasing their debut EP, In The Garden, In The Night, on October 20th, and in anticipation of this they’re giving listeners a drink from their “Garden Hose.”

“Garden Hose” is the lead single off of the EP, and it's a indie singer-songwriter pop gem that features a horn player who injects a bit of a Cake-like feel into the song.

When it comes to the band, the “Runners” part of their name is extremely appropriate, as frontwoman Emi Night has been running all over the country since a very early age, having taken up residence in Indiana, Colorado, and now Brooklyn, NY.

Give “Garden Hose” a listen, and check out Strawberry Runners’ unique, and ultimately pleasing, sound.


* Every once in a while an artist I don't know contacts me directly, and being a freelance writer, I understand how difficult it is to write, and click send, on a such a pitch. This is why I try my best to listen to the music from the pitches that are the most personal, honest, and interesting (my God, what did I just do to my inbox by writing this?).

Recently, a 19 year old NYC-based R&B singer named Leuca hit me up with info about an EP he released in March titled Soul[o], and links to a few of his videos. After checking out “Jupiter” I knew I was going to feature him here.

Smooth vocals, and an honest writing style, highlight “Jupiter," the video for which is a very cool unique, bonus for an already great song.

Click play, and get in on the ground floor on Leuca, who I predict big things for in the coming years.


* If “nu-wop” trio PEP’s latest single, “Run,” sounds a bit familiar, there’s a reason for that. The Brooklyn-based retro vocalists explain, “The track in its current form is a direct reference to Lenny Kravitz’ ‘It Ain’t Over ’Til It’s Over’ – an all-time favorite of ours!”

The trio adds, “We had so much fun with the arrangements, particularly the rhythm section, and we especially appreciate Christina Bernard’s (of Starlight Girls. No relation to me) contribution as featured flutist on the track.”

PEP will be releasing a full length album on September 22nd, and you can listen to “Run" right here.


For more of the best of NYC’s indie music scene, come back next Wednesday, and check out the archives for previous columns.

Comments

Popular Posts