3 Reasons You Should See Toy Cars Live


As many of you know, I have a golden rule about attending concerts – always try to get there in time to see the opening act!

I can’t tell you how many times showing up early has led to some of my favorite musical discoveries. This happened yet again the other week, when I attended a show at Mercury Lounge that featured New Jersey-based rock band Toy Cars as the opener.

Aside from writing about one of the band’s videos for a column late in 2016, I really didn’t know much about Toy Cars going in, but I not only left a fan, I picked up a cassette of their EP, Sleeping Patterns (yes, you read that right, I said cassette!).

If you want to know what about their show inspired me to make that purchase, here are three reasons you should see Toy Cars live.

1. Their Sound is Stadium Rock Meets Indie Rock

There were times, especially early in their set, when I felt like Toy Cars were a stadium rock band on an indie band's stage. I could easily imagine them performing their songs in front of an audience the size of which would rival one of U2’s shows. At other times, Toy Cars showed off their indie rock chops. This dichotomy makes them the perfect band to reach both sets of fans.

It wasn’t until the very end of their set that I could finally put my finger on a band that performs in a similar vein – Everclear.

That’s some really good company to be in!

2. (Crowd) Size Doesn’t Matter

Toy Cars were in a damned near impossible time slot – 7pm on a Thursday. It’s incredibly difficult to get an NYC crowd into a venue at that hour. That said, Toy Cars performed with the kind of intensity that would make you think the venue was at capacity, and they were turning people away at the door.

Lead singer Matteo DeBeneditti gets into a zone when performing, so whether there are 7, 70, or 700 people in attendance, fans are being treated to an energy packed set.

3. They Will Risk Life and Limb to Rock Out

OK, maybe this is a slight exaggeration, but during Toy Cars’ set DeBeneditti found himself performing in a small pool of whiskey, as he accidentally kicked over his drink mid-song. His guitar chord was in this small pool of whiskey. Everyone knows what can happen when you get electrical equipment wet!

So yes, Toy Cars will risk their lives – and even their drinks – to put on a great show.


To find out when, and where, Toy Cars performing next, check out their Facebook page for show dates.

Comments

Popular Posts