Vid Pick: Corina Corina – My Baaad


Ever since I first met soulful songstress Corina Corina the two things that have struck me most about her have been her incredible musical output, and her relentless work ethic. The woman is tireless when it comes to writing, recording, and touring.

Her latest single is “My Baaad,” which is off her recently released Run The Blues EP. On the song she gives listeners her point of view on short term romances, and feeling disconnected from those lovers.

I caught up with Corina Corina to find out more about “My Baaad,” what she hopes both women, and men, get out of hearing her perspective, and how life has been treating her since her return to Brooklyn from the Bay Area.

Let’s talk about the lyrics of “My Baaad.” Why was it important for you to voice this perspective, and maybe even get some of these things off your chest?

I’m not sure I thought it was “important” when I wrote it, I just knew that it was coming from an honest place of what was on my mind at the time.

I was touring a lot, and feeling pretty emotionally disconnected from the people I was being intimate with. I realized this is the experience a lot of touring artists have had. It’s an old story. The road can be a lonely way of life in a lot of ways, and brief – and sometimes empty – love affairs are one thing people do to get through it. 

I can’t recall hearing many stories like this from the female perspective, so I told my own.

I’ve written a lot of songs about my overall apathy, and disillusionment, towards romance, but this one is a little more lighthearted and sassy, and not quite as heavy and dramatic as some of the others. That made the video really fun to shoot!


What do you hope women get out of this, and, on the flip side, what do you hope guys get out of this?

I think this song is just another perspective of the female experience that people aren’t used to hearing. It’s not exactly a positive perspective, but it’s an honest one, and I think honesty is always empowering – for women – and informative – for men.

I hope everyone of all genders appreciates someone who is straightforward and self-assured.

As far as my male listeners, I think our culture conditions men to feel very entitled to women’s feelings, generosity, and our bodies. I hope that on some level they can understand that sometimes we don’t actually need them, we’re not waiting for them to call, and that many women do whatever the fuck they want and don’t make any apologies for it.

“My Baaad” is off of your Run The Blues EP, all the instrumentals from which are from Run The Jewels. What about RTJ sparks inspiration in you?

They’re the mothafuckin best!

I’ve been a fan of both of them separately for years. El-P has such a signature sound, and his beats are just consistently flames. I’ve been a Dungeon Family fan for as long as I can remember, so I’ve always fucked with Killer Mike, too.

To be honest, when I heard they were working together on R.A.P. Music I was a little skeptical, and thought they may be too different, regionally. Mannn was I proven wrong. That album is classic! I loved their chemistry so much that by the time the first official Run The Jewels album came out I was already sold on them as a duo. 

My mixtape might as well have been called Run the (tour) Blues, because I wrote all the songs about my experiences on the road. It was inspired just as much by being the sole female on multiple indie rap tours as it was by RTJ.

I was listening to so much of their music to get me through the grind that it all came together organically. Someone I met on the road a few years ago jokingly suggested the name to me, and it was perfect.

Finally, how has your return to Brooklyn treated you so far? What have been some of the highlights?

Oh mannn it’s good to be home!

I moved back to Cali for two and a half years, and during that time I spent over six months on the road in 2015, and came back to NYC seven times to do shows, and to work on my third album with my longtime producer, Willie Green.

I’m pretty sure that in my heart I always knew this is where I belong. It was evident as soon as I got back, I just feel more comfortable here.

In the three months I’ve been back, Willie Green and I have been doing some mix recalls for my third album, and that should be done by the end of the summer. I’ve been writing a lot of new material, and I have a bunch of cool shows coming up. I’m going to add some live instrumental elements to my stage act, which I’m really excited about. 

I’ve also reunited with my partner, Jesse O’Neill, for our side project, Max Caddy. It’s an acoustic blues/folk duo that we started about six years ago. That’s been a lot of fun, and has been really great for me to get my songwriting and performing chops up in a non-electronic setting. 

I’m feeling inspired, and motivated, and more creatively fulfilled than I have since … the last time I lived in Brooklyn. :)

For more Corina Cornia, check out corina-corina.com.

Comments

Popular Posts