Vid Pick: Fjer – Better


Readers of my weekly NYC Scene Report are already familiar with NYC, by way of Denmark, electro-soul-pop singer-songwriter Fjer’s latest single, “Better.” Now “Better” has a video, and it’s a foggy, soaked through, gem.

Back in December, when I spoke with Fjer about "Better," she explained the inspiration behind the song, saying, “I approached ‘Better’ like opening a time capsule to my past, where I'd discover that someone I was in an on/off relationship with hadn't changed one bit. There was still this notion that we were just gonna pick up things were we left off, so it was written to remind them of how much better we could've had it, had they chosen me.”

She adds that for the video, which was co-directed by Peter Anthony Red, and Fjer, “We wanted to do something that really conveyed the sense of detachment in broken relationships – a way to embody the ‘what ifs’ visually. A dreamy state of mind where you think of what could have been, which is really what the song is about. The result is this glitchy video, and a creepy cameo from fellow singer Emilia James, who suffered wet clothes, chilly water, and a suffocating fog machine for an entire day with me.”

Check out "Better," and I think you'll agree the effort was well worth every foggy, soaked through moment.

Comments

Popular Posts