Name: Adam Bernard Home: Fairfield, Connecticut, United States About Me: Entertainment journalist with 15+ years of experience. Supporter of indie music. Lover of day baseball, fringe movies, & chicken shawarma. Part time ninja. Nerdy, but awesome. See my complete profile
Welcome to your weekly dose of pop world musings. Covering all things pop culture, this week Pop Shots is hitting you with thoughts on everything from Chris Martin’s insane review of Rihanna, to Mariah Carey’s strange fetish angle at a recent show, to Fergie’s music being considered old school, and since this is Pop Shots you know everything is seasoned with a little bit of attitude.
* In an interview with The Guardian, Chris Martin of Coldplay called Rihanna "the Frank Sinatra of our generation," proving Chris Martin has never heard Frank Sinatra.
* Drake’s Views has spent eight conescutive weeks atop the Billboard 200 chart. A Canadian hasn't ruled over America like this since Pamela Anderson was on Baywatch.
* On a recent episode of Bravo's Watch What Happens Live, John Mayer revealed he's single, saying, "I'm ready to roll." This is very exciting news for seven ladies left that he hasn't dated.
* During a recent show at her residency in Las Vegas, Mariah Carey brought a pregnant Blac Chyna on stage for a lap dance. The show’s male dancers blindfolded Chyna, and performed a striptease, while Mariah teased her with a pink feather. I'm absolutely sure there's a section for this on PornHub, and I'm equally sure I don't want to meet the people who've bookmarked that section.
* Suge Knight, who is currently in jail, filed lawsuit in Los Angeles Superior Court against Chris Brown, singer Pia Mia Perez, and the owners of 1 Oak nightclub, alleging they failed to provide adequate security at a party Brown and Perez co-hosted in 2014, during which Knight was shot. It’s rare for me to side with Chris Brown on anything, but his defense should simply be, "He's Suge Knight, he's a magnet for bullets." As an aside, I'd like to use this story as an excuse to remind everyone that Suge Knight's stuff was once sold at auction on an episode of Storage Wars.
* In more “Chris Brown probably still isn't a very good human being” news, CB, already facing legal action from a former manager who claims Brown beat him, now faces a new allegation from Nancy Ghosh, who was working as Brown's European tour manager. Ghosh alleges Brown was so threatening to her she felt the need to quit mid-tour. Yeah, so that domestic violence program Brown graduated from back in 2010... was the school named after Ike Turner?
* Fifth Harmony will be performing at VH1's third annual Save The Music benefit concert, which will be held in August. They will not be able to "Work From Home."
* Joey Fatone, who apparently has an amazing sense of humor, is opening a hot dog stand at the Florida Mall in Orlando, and he's naming it Fat One's Hot Dogs & Italian Ice. Here's hoping this inspires a Lance Bass Fish & Chips.
* Jon Bon Jovi, and the staff at JBJ Soul Kitchen, which is the rocker’s non-profit community restaurant in Toms River, N.J., worked together to surprise superfan Carol Cesario, who is fighting stage 4 lung cancer, with a dinner with the rock legend himself. There’s no word on if, at any point during the evening, he used his newfound magical powers to turn back time.
* In a post on Instagram this past week, Fergie shared the artwork for her next single, “M.I.L.F.$.” The song is from her forthcoming album, which is rumored to be titled Double Dutchess. Double Dutchess will be her first new album since 2006's The Dutchess. FYI, this means teenagers consider "Fergalicious" old school.
And with that, my time is up for the week, but I'll be back next week with more shots on all things pop.
B-Listers are a select group of artists that were featured in my Artist Of The Week series that ran every Monday from April of '06 to April of '11. All of these artists have two things in common; extreme talent, and a flight path far too under the radar for my liking. They took on the title of B-Listers as they embraced being featured by me, Adam B. Check out the AOTW Archives for all the interviews.