Pop Shots – A Look At The Charts


Welcome to your weekly dose of pop world musings. Covering all things pop culture, this week Pop Shots is hitting you with a little Billboard singles chart analysis, as the summer has brought us a bevy of new music, including a remake of an absolute classic. The chart positions I’m using are from this past Wednesday, and since this is Pop Shots, you know everything is seasoned with a little bit of attitude.

4. The Chainsmokers w/ Daya – Don't Let Me Down



Every summer there’s one song that’s completely inescapable. This summer, that song has been “Don’t Let Me Down.” I turn on the radio, and it’s on. I change the station, and it’s still on. I walk into the gym, and it’s still on. I swear it’s even been the soundtrack to a few of my dreams, because it’s bore a hole into my subconscious. Thankfully, it’s a pretty darn good song.

6. Sia w/ Sean Paul – Cheap Thrills



Sia’s music always grows on me. I’m not a huge fan of her releases at first, but upon repeat listens I connect with the lyrics, and enjoy the subtle intricacies of each song. In keeping with that tradition, initially “Cheap Thrills” didn’t thrill me. Now, I shout along with the lyric “I love cheap thrills!” Partially it’s because I really do love cheap thrills. I mean, who doesn’t?

44. Ariana Grande – Into You



You already know I’m a fan of Ariana Grande, and think her latest album, Dangerous Woman, is great, so it should really come as no surprise that I’m all for more of her music on my radio. “Into You” is her latest, and much like “Dangerous Woman,” it’s another pop song that shows off her strong R&B side. Unlike “Dangerous Woman,” I can sing along to this song’s chorus without getting strange looks at stoplights.

62. Grace w/ G-Eazy – You Don't Own Me



I don’t think anyone expected a remake of a Lesley Gore classic to be a summer anthem in 2016, but it looks as though that’s going to be the case, as Aussie singer Grace has teamed up with rapper G-Eazy for a modernized version of Gore’s 1963 hit “You Don’t Own Me.” Normally I’m a bit hesitant with remakes, but this might be one of the coolest songs out right now. I look forward to “You Don’t Own Me” rising on the charts, and getting tons of spins on Top 40 radio.

89. DNCE – Toothbrush



When I was a kid I had a He-Man talking toothbrush. Sadly, DNCE did not sample, “I’m He-Man, I’m strong as can be, and I brush my teeth with regularity” for their latest single, “Toothbrush.” Perhaps they’ll consider it for a remix. As is, “Toothbrush” is an incredibly catchy dance pop tune. Hey, after you have “Cake By The Ocean” you’re gonna need to brush your teeth. That’s what they’re singing about, right?

And with that, my time is up for the week, but I'll be back next week with more shots on all things pop.

Comments

Popular Posts