Pop Shots – A Look At The Charts... From 25 Years Ago


Welcome to your weekly dose of pop world musings. Covering all things pop culture, this week I’ve hopped into my time machine again, and I've set the coordinates for 25 years ago this week. On the Billboard Hot 100 there were quite a few one hit wonders, and some legendary acts who were just getting their first taste of success. Without further delay, let’s get into some of that 1991 goodness! Of course, since this is Pop Shots, you know everything is seasoned with a little bit of attitude.

1. Bryan Adams – "(Everything I Do) I Do It For You"


This was one of the most ever-present songs of 1991. "(Everything I Do) I Do It For You" was played so often that, as a listener, you ended up going from hating it, to loving it, to hating it, to loving it again. A gigantic hit off of the Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves soundtrack, it's actually a good song, although I think we can all agree Robin Hood: Men in Tights was a far better Robin Hood movie. (FYI, I couldn’t use the actual music video because Bryan Adams has disabled the embedding of his videos)

2. Jesus Jones – "Right Here, Right Now"


"Right Here, Right Now" was an appropriate title for Jesus Jones' monster hit, as it also defined the band's longevity. In 1991 they were here for right here, right now, and we never heard from them again. A pretty good band, while Jesus Jones' Doubt was by no means a seminal album, it's one most 90s fans still dig. (FYI, I didn’t use the music video because for some reason it’s not on YouTube)

3. EMF – "Unbelievable"


Another band that didn't last all that long, EMF gave us the Andrew Dice Clay sampling "Unbelievable," and then made their home in the one hit wonder hall of fame. Hey, I'm not knockin 'em, if you're gonna have one hit, "Unbelievable" is a pretty great hit to have. (Again, the actual music video isn’t on YouTube, hence the live clip)

5. DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince – "Summertime"


The greatest song about summer ever created, 25 years later, hearing "Summertime" on the radio still marks the official start of the season. Everything from the lyrics, to the production, to the overall vibe, of this classic are 100% pure summer. For a duo that had a heck of a lot of hits, "Summertime" will always reign supreme as DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince's best work.

22. Seal – "Crazy"


Call me crazy, but I think this Seal guy might just have a future in music. I mean, it's not like he's gonna marry a supermodel or anything, but...

23. Boyz II Men – "Motownphilly"


Again, I might be going out on a limb here, but I think these Boyz II Men guys might be able to build off of this "Motownphilly" single and have a nice career. Solid debut, don't you think?

And with that, my time is up for the week, but I'll be back next week with more shots on all things pop.

Comments

Popular Posts