How to Overcome Failure in the Music Industry: 8 Musicians Weigh In


I hate to be the one to break it to you, but you're going to fail.

"Art is about taking risks and trying new things," Thomas Becker of Beautiful Bodies explains. "Inevitably, you are going to fail. I cannot tell you how many terrible songs I've written, or how often I've made a fool of myself onstage. If I didn't try these things, though, I never would have come up with my most creative songs or figured out how to perform live with confidence. Successful musicians accept that failure is inevitable, and they learn from their missteps."

Folk singer Royal Holland seconds this, saying, "I always find failure a catalyst for success. It truly spurs me on to understand why I failed, and how I can adjust my thinking to be certain it won't happen again. It's how we gain wisdom and experience. Those are two of the most invaluable things to be sought in this business."

With that in mind, I spoke with Becker, Holland, and six other musicians about overcoming failure and finding success in its wake.

Read the full column at SonicBids.com.

Comments

Popular Posts