Name: Adam Bernard Home: Fairfield, Connecticut, United States About Me: Entertainment journalist with 15+ years of experience. Supporter of indie music. Lover of day baseball, fringe movies, & chicken shawarma. Part time ninja. Nerdy, but awesome. See my complete profile
Welcome to your weekly dose of pop world musings. Covering all things pop culture, this week Pop Shots is hitting you with thoughts on everything from the dangers of trying to photograph Justin Bieber’s car, to Frank Ocean needing to hitch a ride, to on-road terror Brandy getting engaged, and since it’s Pop Shots you know everything is seasoned with a little bit of attitude.
* A paparazzi attempting to take pictures of Justin Bieber was killed on Tuesday when he crossed a freeway and was hit by a car. The photographer had been chasing Bieber’s white Ferrari, but, unbeknownst to him, Bieber wasn’t actually in it. Miley Cyrus responded to all of this with a string of tweets, one of which referenced Princess Di. Yeah, because that’s what a frail, effeminate, high pitched voiced, male singer wants, to be compared to a princess.
* In news everyone knows at this point, Kim Kardashian, who is still technically married to Brooklyn Nets player Kris Humphries, is pregnant with Kanye West’s child. Whatever the record is for entitlement issues, I expect this kid to shatter it.
* Britney Spears is reportedly going to be fired from The X Factor. I guess no one told the producers how much the internet loved Britney’s faces. Of course, they may actually know, and just not want THIS to be the face of The X Factor
* With lead singer/guitarist Billie Joe Armstrong out of rehab, Green Day announced they’re ready to hit the road. Fans of the band will be able to see them live starting in March, and they should expect all the punk rock angst that comes from the writers of a Broadway musical who also happen to model $200 jeans.
* If you’ve ever wanted to have R&B singer Frank Ocean ride shotgun in your car, your opportunity has arrived! No, this isn’t an elaborate contest. Ocean was caught doing 90 in a 65mph zone on New Year’s Eve, and after being pulled over the cops also found he was driving with a suspended license, had his front windows illegally tinted, and was in possession of marijuana. Ocean is nominated for six Grammy awards, and will more than likely need a ride to the event.
* In other terrible driver news, songstress, and hellion on wheels, Brandy became engaged to music executive Ryan Press this past week. There is no word on if there was a battle with Monica over Press and Brandy is currently gloating about her engagement by constantly repeating “the boy is mine.”
* Jay-Z will be composing the entire original score for Baz Luhrmann’s upcoming interpretation of The Great Gatsby. For the four people that wanted to hear F. Scott Fitzgerald meets Freeway, I guess this is for you.
* On January 26th Maroon 5 frontman Adam Levine will be hosting Saturday Night Live. No matter how funny Levine is, and I do expect him to be funny, can he save a show that we have to assume will be doing a skit lampooning The Voice that will last five minutes too long, have some sort of “Moves Like Jagger” dance competition (RIP Chris Farley, who would have made that hilarious), and make Levine do a crazy, curse filled, rap song? Here’s hoping!
* Thanks to his artistic achievements and philanthropic work, Bruce Springsteen has been named MusiCares’ 2013 Person of the Year. This is really impressive when you consider the fact that 2013 is only a week old.
* Finally, I know this is completely different for Pop Shots, but I’m obsessed with the music of pianist/violinist Poppy Ackroyd right now, so kick back and check out “Seven.” It’s fantastic!
And with that, my time is up for the week, but I'll be back next week with more shots on all things pop.