About Me

Name: Adam Bernard
Home: Fairfield, Connecticut, United States
About Me: Entertainment journalist with 15+ years of experience. Supporter of indie music. Lover of day baseball, fringe movies, & chicken shawarma. Part time ninja. Nerdy, but awesome.
See my complete profile
Bios & Press Releases

Bios: $250-$300
Press Releases: $50

Check out samples here

For more info, or to set something up, email me

Artist Advice e-book

Muscle For Your Hustle What Every DIY Musician Needs to Know (2011)

A collection of 22 of my best artist advice articles

Pick it up for just $1

Photo Ops

w/ Beautiful Bodies ('15)


w/ Michael Imperioli ('14)


w/ Millionaires ('12)


w/ Adam Duritz, iLLspoKinN & Notar ('10)


w/ Kevin Pereira on the old set of
Attack of the Show ('09)

Magazine Articles

Rocko The Intern

July 2010 - January 2013
Is Sucker Punch Heading Towards Cult Movie Status?
Thursday, August 30, 2012

Earlier this month I was at ComiCONN in Trumbull, CT, when I noticed there was a decided lack of anything Sucker Punch related. There was only one woman dressed as one of the characters, Rocket, and none of the tables had any Sucker Punch merchandise. This was odd to me because Sucker Punch, which I really enjoyed, seems like such a perfect fit for a convention of this nature.

Even though most everyone I spoke with at ComiCONN was extremely friendly, I was hesitant to bring up my Sucker Punch wonderings because I thought if I did I might end up on the receiving end of a speech about how I’m watching the wrong things. The few people I did mention the lack of Sucker Punch to did agree that it was strangely underrepresented. This made me wonder if Sucker Punch was no longer in this realm of fandom, but instead was heading towards cult movie status.

Before we can determine if Sucker Punch can, or will, reach cult movie status it’s important to define what a cult movie is and see if it fits that definition. In a Cineaste Magazine article, I.Q. Hunter, who has been published widely on cult films (and has quite the rad name), defines them, in part, as “movies that are often transgressive, marginal, disasters on first release, or drawn from genres such as horror, science fiction, and exploitation, and which have attracted an exceptionally devoted and vociferous fan base.” Leaving the part about the fan base for later, Sucker Punch is certainly transgressive, meaning (dictionary definition here) it’s characterized by graphic depictions of behavior that violate socially acceptable norms, often involving violence, drug use, and sexual deviancy (scantily clad girls and big guns! Yes!). Sucker Punch was also a flop in terms of the box office, making only $19 million in its opening weekend despite costing over $80 million to make, so it certainly qualifies as a disaster on first release. Additionally, the movie includes elements of sci-fi and exploitation, further connecting it to Hunter’s definition of a cult film.

Cultographies.com, which has an extensive definition for what a cult film is, notes that these types of films also “challenge genre conventions and coherent storytelling.” Anyone who saw Sucker Punch knows it challenges coherent storytelling with it’s multi-fantasy escapism that the girls take part in, going from the reality of the insane asylum, to the first fantasy of the cabaret, to the second fantasy of being all out warriors in completely different situations. Did the movie challenge genre conventions? Perhaps, but mostly because there really isn’t a clear cut genre that the film fits into other than “action” (I’m not counting “masturbatory fantasy,” which is what some critics labeled it, as I’ve never seen that section in a movie store).

According to noted cult film book editor Ernest Mathijs (The Cult Film Reader, Cultographies), movies become cult films “by accident.” So has this accident happened for Sucker Punch, or are we in mid-accident and the final result is still pending? This brings us back to the point about having an “exceptionally devoted and vociferous fan base.” Does Sucker Punch have one, and if so, where can it be found? Clearly, if I can ask the latter, the former can be called into question.

Personally, I think the hushed tones with which Sucker Punch was talked about by the handful of people I mentioned it to at ComiCONN is a good start for finding that fan base. This is a movie that has all the stylistic qualities that make up a cult film, all it needs is to gather its fans and it will own that title.

Labels:

posted by Adam Bernard @ 7:35 AM  
2 Comments:
  • At 2:15 PM, Blogger firminist1 said…

    Adam. I seriously like Sucker Punch. Yours, I.Q. Hunter

     
  • At 2:01 PM, Blogger Adam Bernard said…

    Hey, that's great to hear (or I guess technically read). Thank you for checking out the article!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Follow

Email List

Popular Columns

The Struggles Foreign Artists Face in the US, & How to Overcome Them


Ten Secrets for Making a Show a Success Despite a Low Turnout


What Happens to an Artist When Their Record Label Folds

Latest Podcast

The Drunk Train #9
feat. Lucy Camp
& Toussaint Morrison
Stand-Up Comedy

My set from Soce's
First-Timer's Show (April '14)
B-Lister Nation
B-Listers are a select group of artists that were featured in my Artist Of The Week series that ran every Monday from April of '06 to April of '11. All of these artists have two things in common; extreme talent, and a flight path far too under the radar for my liking. They took on the title of B-Listers as they embraced being featured by me, Adam B. Check out the AOTW Archives for all the interviews.

Friends of Adam’s World
60 Second Review
Adam John | Kid Kryptic
Always Home and Uncool
AngryMarks
Backpack Cat
Claudia Alick
Definitely Amazing
Gangstarr Girl
Fly Like Dove
FreeHipHopNow
Halo Doesn’t Suck
I Are Conscious
iHeartDilla
Jesse Abraham
Joey K’s Place
Jus Rhyme
Ken Morico
Life of a Rockstar
MC Larny Rocks
Nappy Diatribe
Nobody Beats The Liz
Paul Gargano
Pay Us No Mind
Popular Opinions
Ramblings of the BK GrrlGenius
RapDirt
RapReviews
Sleep Dirt
Speech Is My Hammer
Stamford Talk
The 54 Reality Show
The BillaBlog
The Race to Nowhere
xo Publicity

Member Of

BLOGGER

Wikio - Top Blogs - Music

Alltop, confirmation that I kick ass

    Older Posts                 Newer Posts