Name: Adam Bernard Home: Fairfield, Connecticut, United States About Me: Entertainment journalist with 15+ years of experience. Supporter of indie music. Lover of day baseball, fringe movies, & chicken shawarma. Part time ninja. Nerdy, but awesome. See my complete profile
Welcome to your weekly dose of pop world musings. Covering all things pop culture, this week Pop Shots is hitting you with thoughts on everything from Pitbull’s upcoming Alaskan getaway, to Justin Bieber’s claim that he’s become a man, to some dance steps from Korea that we all need to learn, and since it’s Pop Shots you know everything is seasoned with a little bit of attitude.
* Kodiak, Alaska is ready to welcome Pitbull to their Wal-Mart. Thanks to an internet campaign that, depending on your feelings towards Pitbull, went either very wrong, or very right, Kodiak’s Wal-Mart received the most “likes” on Facebook, netting them a visit from the rapper. The campaign was started by Boston Phoenix writer David Thorpe and quickly took on a life of its own. Pitbull is being an extremely good sport about everything, and has even asked Thorpe to come with him, on Thorpe’s own dime, of course. Thorpe has stated he’s “very likely” to be making that trip. Although I’m sure Alaska is filled with St. Bernards, this might be their first Pitbull sighting.
* In an interview with Rolling Stone, Justin Bieber was quoted as saying “I feel like I carry myself in a more manly way.” Some people are mocking this comment, and normally I would, too, but considering the standard he’s measuring himself against is how he carried himself before, he isn’t exactly comparing himself to Ray Lewis. Is Justin Bieber more manly than he was two years ago? Sure, although that just means he now picks out his clothes all by himself.
* Due to scheduling a conflict with The Voice, Cee Lo Green has announced his Las Vegas spectacular, Loberace, has been pushed back to 2013. According to The Hollywood Reporter, “With a name Inspired by the theatrics and costumes of Liberace, Loberace promised ‘mind-twisting magic and sexified showgirls’ alongside the singer's flamboyant sense of style.” If there’s any mind in music that would be fun to take a tour of it’s definitely Cee Lo’s, my only question is will Purrfect The Cat have a role?
* A fully reunited Backstreet Boys appeared on Good Morning America to announce their first show with Kevin Richardson back in the fold will be a performance in Central Park in NYC on August 31st. The show will air live on Good Morning America, and is a precursor to their eighth studio album, which is due out in the spring of 2013. During the interview Nick Carter also revealed the group is living in a house together during recording. I know what you’re thinking - this would make for the best season of Big Brother EVER!
* B.G. has been sentenced to 14 years in prison after pleading guilty to weapons, and witness tampering, charges. This completely paves the way for “Bling Bling” to become a new anthem for amnesty.
* Susanna Hoffs of the Bangles released a new solo album last week titled Someday. Wait, I know she’s married with kids, but is that title a subtle innuendo that I still have a shot with her? I totally knew “Eternal Flame” was about me even though I was only ten when it was recorded. Holler at me, Susanna!
* Country music group Zac Brown Band landed at number one on the Billboard 200 Album Chart, selling 234,000 copies of Uncaged. Frank Ocean’s Channel Orange finished a distant second with 131,000 copies sold. So you mean the act with physical product outsold the one who went with an iTunes only first week? Dear music industry, this is telling you something. Get your fingers out of your ears and listen!
* Mariah Carey will be honored as a BMI Icon at the BMI Urban Awards this September. Apparently this is what doing a song with The Lox gets you.
* Finally, I know it’s only Monday, but this is the greatest thing you’ll see all week! (Thanks, Korea!)
And with that, my time is up for the week, but I'll be back next week with more shots on all things pop.