Name: Adam Bernard Home: Fairfield, Connecticut, United States About Me: Entertainment journalist with 15+ years of experience. Supporter of indie music. Lover of day baseball, fringe movies, & chicken shawarma. Part time ninja. Nerdy, but awesome. See my complete profile
Welcome to your weekly dose of pop world musings. Covering all things pop culture, this week Pop Shots is hitting you with thoughts on everything from Snooki’s impending arrival in her belly, to Justin Bieber and Ja Rule arriving at new years, to the sad departure of The Monkees’ Davy Jones, and since it’s Pop Shots you know everything is seasoned with a little bit of attitude.
* You know those stories that start “our long national nightmare is over?” Well, our long national nightmare has just begun! If you believe what the rumor mill has been churning out, Snooki is pregnant. In what the Jersey Shore star undoubtedly thought was the worst hangover ever, this latest meatball problem will likely be the focus of her upcoming MTV show with JWOWW. Here’s hoping Snooki eventually gets her own baby-centric program, though, because Snooksteen & Pregnant would be a classic.
* Both Justin Bieber and Ja Rule celebrated birthdays last week. One of them did so by calling in to a New York City radio station from his prison cell. I’ll let you figure out which on your own.
* Lindsay Lohan hosted SNL on Saturday because train wrecks aren’t just for the nightly news anymore. Michael Lohan was watching in a very specific location, and punched a stripper in celebration. Dina Lohan refused to watch because she didn’t understand why she couldn't get herself booked as the musical guest.
* Janet Jackson has declined a judging spot on The X Factor. They could technically just pre-record her advice since I’m sure it consists of “do you have a famous family? Ride their coattails as long as possible,” and “never let a teen pop star expose your boob to a Super Bowl audience.”
* Last Thursday Cypress Hill and Kottonmouth Kings were among the 200+ supporters at a medical marijuana rally in downtown LA. It’s truly a shocking turn of events to see the groups behind such songs as “Hit From The Bong” and albums like Rollin’ Stoned come out in support of marijuana. Seriously, at this point, if you want a concert out of either group just say you’re having a marijuana rights rally and I’m pretty sure they’ll show up. Actually, just say you have a bong waiting for them and they’ll be there.
* British rocker, and frequent drug abuser, Pete Doherty had paintings he made using his own blood on display at a London art gallery last week. Now, I know everyone’s trying to get a piece of the Twilight audience, but I think this is taking it just a bit too far. Keep your blood to, and in, yourself!
* YouTube is furthering its marriage with big time musicians with the upcoming launch of The Warner Sound. The channel will give access to both stars and emerging talent, and is slated to feature interviews, old films from Warner’s vaults, and scripted series. First up is going to be a live stream of Warner Music’s SXSW showcase. Part of me thinks this is a great idea, but then there’s the part of me that remembers Warner gave Paris Hilton her own sub-label to release music on, so I’m going to take a wait and see attitude towards this.
* Tweet of the Week:@PsalmOne I wonder how we'll celebrate this extra day of Black History Month. I guess a Worldstar marathon may not be the most appropriate?
* In very sad news, Davy Jones of The Monkees died of a heart attack last week. In honor of him, here’s a clip from his unforgettable appearance on The Brady Bunch.
And with that, my time is up for the week, but I'll be back next week with more shots on all things pop.