Name: Adam Bernard Home: Fairfield, Connecticut, United States About Me: Entertainment journalist with 15+ years of experience. Supporter of indie music. Lover of day baseball, fringe movies, & chicken shawarma. Part time ninja. Nerdy, but awesome. See my complete profile
Welcome to your weekly dose of pop world musings. Covering all things pop culture, this week Pop Shots is hitting you with thoughts on everything from Adele’s multiple top honors from Billboard, to NBC suddenly being on top of what The Roots play, to who’s at the top of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s inductee list, and since it’s Pop Shots you know everything is seasoned with a little bit of attitude.
* Adele made a little Billboard history this past week when she became the first female singer to be named top artist, have the top album, and score the top single, all in one year. With all those “tops” there’s at least one Adele will now go without, and that’s Top Ramen, cuz I’m pretty sure she can afford real food at this point.
* In news that is sure to confuse attractive single people everywhere, last week Sinead O’Connor, who still sports the bald look, and has added a slight beer gut to the mix, got married for the fourth time. At least with Ms. “Nothing Compares 2 U” now being a Mrs. again we won’t have to read her blogged pleas for butt sex anymore. In fact, you know that CraigsList ad you were thinking about answering, but didn’t because there was no picture? Yeah, husband number four could have been you! You dodged one there, buddy.
* NBC has decided to neuter The Roots and apparently Questlove is OK with it. This after the band decided to play Fishbone’s “Lyin’ Ass Bitch” as Republican presidential hopeful Michele Bachmann walked to the stage for her interview with Jimmy Fallon (side note, if you’re interviewing with Jimmy Fallon you’re not going to be the president of anything other than possibly your condo owner’s association, and even that’s iffy). Questlove says NBC has promised not to step on anybody’s toes, but as a longtime fan of the group I have to say it’s more than a little sad to see such a great hip-hop band get pushed around and controlled creatively. Dealing with The Roots should be part of the deal when you go on Fallon. It’s not like you have to answer any difficult questions while you’re there.
* You might remember Blur as the British band that was a bit of a one hit wonder with “Song 2.” You know, the one where the lead singer sang about getting his head checked by a jumbo jet. Well, even though they’d have to sing for nickels in the US, they’re apparently minor gods in the UK, where they’re going to received a lifetime BRIT award in 2012. The BRITs are Britain’s version of the Grammys... actually, judging by who the Grammys choose to honor, this makes perfect sense. Carry on.
* The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, aka the only thing in Cleveland that will ever get to honor a winner, has announced this year’s inductees. The Beastie Boys, Guns N’ Roses and the Red Hot Chili Peppers headline the list that also includes Scottish singer-songwriter Donovan, Small Faces/Faces, Freddie King, Cosimo Matassa, Tom Dowd and Glyn Johns. Clearly not all inductees are created equal, as I’m guessing no extra security will have to be hired to handle the throngs of fans bum-rushing the doors to get a look at the Donovan display.
* Jay-Z is going to headline the first ever hip-hop focused series of performances at the legendary Carnegie Hall in February of 2012. The really cool thing about this? All the proceeds will benefit the United Way of NYC and Jigga’s own Shawn Carter Scholarship Foundation. Let’s just hope Jay deals with money a little better than Wyclef.
* If you aren’t subscribing to Jon Lajoi’s videos on YouTube you’re really missing some great musical comedy. His latest is the third installment in his WTF Collective series and features a cavalcade of emcees you’d never want to invite to your cypher... or to dinner, except maybe Everyday Normal Guy. There’s also a hint of The Walking Dead thrown in this clip for good measure. Oh yeah, this video is very NSFW!
And with that, my time is up for the week, but I'll be back next week with more shots on all things pop.